Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 AM

70GB fills a 160GB drive?

Hi all,
I have a machine with about 70GB of data and a networked hard drive (NAS) with about 160GB of space left. I asked SuperDuper! to use high compression and create a .dmg file in a directory on the NAS (connection speed 100Mbs and using the SMB protocol). Over 24 hours later it was still going.

It seemed to get stuck "preparing the image" or something like that. I apologize, I only had the chance to glance at it this morning and didn't write the exact phrase. Anyhow, I stopped the process,looked at my NAS info and found that it only had 2GB left. I also looked at the .dmg file and it was only 30GB. What gives?

I deleted the enitire Image directory and still could not gain the space back. I did have time to format the drive and that got everything back to normal (IE it's 160GB again). I can understand the long backup because of the massive amount of data being compressed, but why did it get stuck and "steal" a lot of my drive?

Thank you.

Last edited by schandor; 03-28-2005 at 09:38 AM.