Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM
scott721 scott721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Exclamation Growl 1.3 - no alerts

Growl has been upgraded to a full-fledged application sold ($1.99 and well worth it, in my opinion) in the Mac's App Store. The old pref pane is now gone - removal is required as part of the installation process - and the new application has several more features.

Sadly, though, the new version does not appear to be compatible with the latest version of SD. It would be very much appreciated if the good folks at Shirt Pocket could make the appropriate changes to SD so that Growl 1.3 would function with it.

SD, it should be said, is my #1 indispensable application - no matter how much convenience is offered by others the security of knowing that I've got a complete, accurate, usable backup available at any time makes it the only aftermarket application that I truly wouldn't live without. Thanks, as always, for the great work.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
joelw135 joelw135 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott721 View Post
Growl has been upgraded to a full-fledged application sold ($1.99 and well worth it, in my opinion) in the Mac's App Store. The old pref pane is now gone - removal is required as part of the installation process - and the new application has several more features.

Sadly, though, the new version does not appear to be compatible with the latest version of SD. It would be very much appreciated if the good folks at Shirt Pocket could make the appropriate changes to SD so that Growl 1.3 would function with it.

SD, it should be said, is my #1 indispensable application - no matter how much convenience is offered by others the security of knowing that I've got a complete, accurate, usable backup available at any time makes it the only aftermarket application that I truly wouldn't live without. Thanks, as always, for the great work.
I agree I have the same problem.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 PM
dnanian's Avatar
dnanian dnanian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Weston, MA
Posts: 14,295
Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It's unfortunate that Growl has broken compatibility in the latest update. I recommend not using the new version until we get a chance to investigate what might be wrong. I can't promise any timeframe for a fix.
__________________
--Dave Nanian
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM
joelw135 joelw135 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
It's unfortunate that Growl has broken compatibility in the latest update. I recommend not using the new version until we get a chance to investigate what might be wrong. I can't promise any timeframe for a fix.
Thanks, at least you will try!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
scott721 scott721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
Thanks, at least you will try!
Ditto that - we always appreciate the efforts of Dave & Co.

Unfortunately sticking with the earlier/pref pane version isn't an option for me as so many other alerts broke in Lion (starting to regret leaving Snow Leopard for lots of reasons including this one).

Thankfully SD is so reliable that I can trust it to run and will simply change the final result from "Quit SuperDuper!" to nothing so that I can see the application showing "OK" when I get to my desk in the morning after it runs at 4:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
joelw135 joelw135 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott721 View Post
Ditto that - we always appreciate the efforts of Dave & Co.

Unfortunately sticking with the earlier/pref pane version isn't an option for me as so many other alerts broke in Lion (starting to regret leaving Snow Leopard for lots of reasons including this one).

Thankfully SD is so reliable that I can trust it to run and will simply change the final result from "Quit SuperDuper!" to nothing so that I can see the application showing "OK" when I get to my desk in the morning after it runs at 4:00 AM.
I depend on the MailMe option of Growl to send an email if SuperDuper did a proper backup or failed for some unknown reason. I have had a drive unplugged and didn't know about it. So Growl is very important to me. Also I can't go back as I tried and it broke the other programs in Growl.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
scott721 scott721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
I depend on the MailMe option of Growl to send an email if SuperDuper did a proper backup or failed for some unknown reason. I have had a drive unplugged and didn't know about it. So Growl is very important to me. Also I can't go back as I tried and it broke the other programs in Growl.
I get that. I have a standard screen alert for successful completion but use MailMe if there's a failure. There's no substitute for the flexibility Growl offers, to be sure.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Airbusky Airbusky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4
Fix for me

I had the same problems with SuperDuper notifications. Deleting the two Growl .plists in Library, Preferences solved the problem on my machine.

com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist

com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist.lockfile
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM
joelw135 joelw135 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
I fixed mine by replacing the Growl Framework in SuperDuper with the Growl SDK 1.2.2 framework. I now get alerts as I did before.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 PM
rwross rwross is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
Joel...

How exactly does one do that?

While I'd still like to here's what you did, Joel, and why, I'd also like to mention that I tried Airbusky's approach and that fixed the problem for me.

Last edited by rwross; 10-07-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM
joelw135 joelw135 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwross View Post
Joel...

How exactly does one do that?

While I'd still like to here's what you did, Joel, and why, I'd also like to mention that I tried Airbusky's approach and that fixed the problem for me.
Download the 1.2.2 SDK from the Growl Info site right click and select "Show Package Contents" look for the Frameworks folder and copy the Growl Framework to a safe place. Next go to applications folder then right click on the SuperDuper app and perform the same routine as above, but replace the framework with the one from the SDK. So far it works for all manual backups, I am going to test it for scheduled backups tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 PM
dnanian's Avatar
dnanian dnanian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Weston, MA
Posts: 14,295
Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Note that scheduled copies use apple events, which you'd think would be compatible in the new version, but may not be...
__________________
--Dave Nanian
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM
joelw135 joelw135 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Note that scheduled copies use apple events, which you'd think would be compatible in the new version, but may not be...
You are correct there were no Growl output from the scheduled backups. I hope this isn't a big thing to fix!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 PM
dnanian's Avatar
dnanian dnanian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Weston, MA
Posts: 14,295
Send a message via AIM to dnanian
At some level, the question is why did they break it?
__________________
--Dave Nanian
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 PM
joelw135 joelw135 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
At some level, the question is why did they break it?
As I understand is that 1.3 is no longer a preference Pane and does not use the Growlhelper.app. And Apple does not allow preference panes in the app store.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
growl


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another sneak peek: Backup Notification with Growl! dnanian General 47 01-24-2008 08:39 AM
Growl Issue: process "SuperDuper!" doesn't understand the exists message Mr. CoBalt General 5 01-16-2007 12:26 PM
Growl Notifications not sticking. raptor256 General 4 12-07-2006 09:14 PM
Growl getting sticky? nomis General 8 07-16-2006 06:33 AM
Growl send notification-network Budgie General 6 06-14-2006 06:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.