Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 PM

SD Stalls in the middle of copy

Using SuperDuper I was able to make an image of the internal HD of my MBP to an external drive before. But last night I tried to dupe to a new HD that I bought for my Mac (I was trying to upgrade from a 120GB drive to an 320GB drive) and it stalled near the end, twice. Hence my username, sorry I do not mean to so negative, but I was very disappointed at the time

At first attempt, it stalled after about 81GB copied and did not recover for 45 minutes (it appeared to be working, but only the elapsed time was being updated, nothing else, for 45 minutes). So I stopped it and thought it was caused by me browsing the web during the copy.

So I started it again and but this time I left it alone. When I got back to it, I noticed it had got stuck around 81GB again. It did not move from there for 45 minutes. I tried to get an strace of the SDCopy thread. I am not that familiar with strace (or rather ktrace) on the Mac so I could not tell if SDCopy was trying to copy the same thing over and over, or not. So I gave up on it.

I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and left it copying over night. In the morning I noticed it had copied without errors and I was able to boot from my new HD. Now my Mac has it's new HD installed

I cannot help debug this issue, but I wanted to write here give feedback. Seems to me that SuperDuper needs some kind of a "stall check" built in so it can detect such a problem and perhaps with user intervention fix it (well it would be nice if it did not stall at all, but...)

I want to also note that I'll keep SD as a tool and will consider registering it. But I'd like to know that this issue will be addressed.