Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM

How do I restore?

Can somebody please tell me how to restore my hard drive?

COMPUTER: PowerBook G4
EXTERNAL DRIVE: LaCie Firewire

I used Super Duper to back everything up on my computer to an external drive (w/Smart Update, I'm pretty sure), then sent my computer off to Apple for some repairs (replace logic board & lower case).

Sure enough, when I got it back, Apple ("AppleCare", actually - ha, ha) had unnecessarily reformatted my hard drive, and everything is gone. My files/folders, apps (including SuperDuper), desktop, updates, settings - everything.

SO - now what do I do, to get my hard drive back to exactly how it was when it left my hands?

I've spent > an hour reading through these Discussions and the FAQ, but I don't see anything definitive or laid out on what to do. I searched the FAQ for "restor", "restore", "restoring", "super" and "duper" in the FAQ Search Word field, and only one entry comes up: something relating to "...if you think that the thread is superb."

I've looked through the User's Guide, and I see something about booting from the backup drive, but (a) I don't know how, (b) I don't want to TOUCH that backup drive and get them platters spinning (and risk it crashing) until I'm at the stage where my computer is being restored from it.
In the User's Guide, I see plenty of how-to on making backups, but NO step-by-step on how to restore from those backups.

Reading the User's Guide, more questions arise:

* I don't know if I've stored to a bootable backup. I'm not even sure just what that means.

* I don't know what "sparse image" is, so I don't know if I'm restoring from that or not.

* Can I get my PowerBook hard drive back to exactly as it was at the moment I had made backup to external drive? As in exactly the same.
If not exactly, what will the differences be?
Will some apps need me to re-enter the registration codes? Will Users need to be re-setup? Will any files or folders not be replaced? Will any apps not be re-installed? Will there be any other difference(s)?!?!
Reading about Sandbox, I'm reminded (from last time I tried to understand that), that I don't know how Sandbox is any different than SuperDuper!
The User's Guide says about Sandbox:
"You can safely install any system updates, drivers or programs in the Sandbox, without worrying about what might happen to your system. If anything goes wrong, you can simply start up from the original system. SuperDuper has preserved it in its original, pre-disaster state – but all your new and changed personal documents are totally up to date. Within minutes, you’re up and running again – without having to go through a difficult and time-consuming restore process."
B-b-but, isn't that what SuperDuper! is for? Isn't that what I'm about to do with my SuperDuper!-made backup of my computer?
Reading that Sandbox excerpt makes me think that I'm about to NOT get my computer in its "original, pre-disaster state" w/"system updates, drivers or programs", because I don't think I did anything related to Sandbox!!

I don't get it.

So, if there is anyone that knows how to get my hard drive back to exactly how it was when it left my hands, I'd appreciate it!

THANKS!

Last edited by Ted939; 06-26-2008 at 01:59 PM.