Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 PM

SD crashed, now my HD is unbootable / unrepairable.

Please forgive the length. I hope to post all pertinent info. I have done a forum search for "error" and have found nothing similar. I'm sorry if this problem has been previously discussed, and would appreciate a link to the original thread if there is another.

HW: Powerbook 1.67 1.5 GB RAM 100GB internal HFS+ 500 GB external iomega silver series USB 2.0 HFS+

SD: v2.1.3 unregistered

Several months ago there was a little power surge in my home which I suspect damaged my HD slightly. Certain large movie files were corrupted and Mail had some serious problems. But other than that it has worked fine.

I recently saved up the cash to buy a big external HD to do a full backup (I usually just backup my docs onto a 40 GB). I followed all of the SD Manual's instructions, zeroing the new external HD and starting up pressing shift, etc.

I set up a Full Backup onto a Sparse Disk on my external HD. Less than half an hour into the process, 17 GB approx. of about 45 GB of files, SD started showing files that it was having trouble copying. At that point, changing from SD to the Finder or opening menus was very, very slow.

It finally discovered one file that it couldn't copy, and, according to procedure, cancelled the backup. It was a pdf in my Downloads folder. I didn't write down the unspecific error message (I believe it said that it wasn't permitted to copy it) because I wanted to open the console and see what had happened. But then the system crashed. I could move the mouse and that's it, so I restarted. My machine since then has refused to boot from the HD.

I immediately put in my System disk and Disk Utility informed me that my HD, with a strange new name (something like r9s0) couldn't be verified nor repaired because of error -9972 "the underlying task reported failure on exit."

DiskWarrior doesn't even recognize the HD at all (!).

Please, if anyone has any ideas for alternative recovery options, I am open to all suggestions. I hope that in the future, Shirt Pocket places a warning in the manual about the consequences of using their software on drives with possible damage.

Thanks for reading the long post. Please, any suggestions are appreciated!!

--Bergz