Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Update on (full) Snow Leopard Compatibility

Hi,

what is the current status on (full) Snow Leopard Compatibility? The entry at your blog is 10 days old and I'd like a (short) note on your progress.

On a sidenote, currently CCC (latest beta 5) supports SL-file-compression (for those in urgent need of a solution. I prefer SD (much simpler interface etc.).

Rolf
Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We're currently in external test with our fix, which works fine.

Given the fact that the backup copy is still good, and will "auto-correct" when the new version is released, I'm not quite sure why someone would be in "urgent need" of a solution... can you clarify?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 AM

Just for info, CCC beta 5 does indeed support the SL file compression, but has other issues, more serious for me than the file compression one. (If you are using CCC b5 check whether the clone will open a zip file).
Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 AM

Hi Dave,

sorry, English is not my native language, so I may have come across wrongly: I am quite happy with SD, and wait for the fix to be in my hands.

Currently I am using CCC to make and keep current a clone on one of my external HD. Appears to work fine. I have yet to experience the difficulties others might have experienced.

I will wait out with further SD! cloning until your fix is send out as an update. The reason for this: unfortunately my other external HD is just the size of my internal and since my internal HD is getting fuller and fuller (and SL compression did free some space which automagically gets taken over fast… ) for cloning I fear I will run out of space (without compression). Yes I should and will get another (bigger) external as well as (bigger) internal HD. But again for this I'd prefer SD to be fully compatible (and need to get the money too). I did have a shitty WD MyBook 750GB-drive but it does not work reliably for cloning, the clone-partition repeatedly went asleep during copying procedure etc. etc.

Hope that explains. Again: SD has been and will (soon) be my tool of choice!!

Best regards,

Rolf
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hey, guys, didn't intend for this to start discussing CCC, but rather was asking about the "urgent need" for the fix. (We're trying to test the fix as carefully as we can, given it's a change to the cloner, as explained in my blog post.)

I'm sure the fine folks at Bombich Software will endeavor to correct whatever might be wrong with their own beta, though: it is, after all, a beta. But concerns about that would be best posted to their forums where they can see it and react appropriately.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 AM

Dave,

"Urgent" is probably a bit much. But my Smart Update backups are taking three times longer under Snow Leopard, despite my switching from at PW 400 to a FW 800 interface. Last night, about 35GB were copied, even though only a fraction of that had really changed since my last backup a week before. I realize that I can just let backups run unattended and go do something else while they're happening, but the slowdown is definitely affecting my workflow and making me less likely to perform frequent, ad hoc backups.

Of course, I wouldn't want you to curtail testing prematurely, but I wanted you to know why I (and probably others) are eagerly awaiting a fix.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Hey, guys, didn't intend for this to start discussing CCC, but rather was asking about the "urgent need" for the fix. (We're trying to test the fix as carefully as we can, given it's a change to the cloner, as explained in my blog post.)

I'm sure the fine folks at Bombich Software will endeavor to correct whatever might be wrong with their own beta, though: it is, after all, a beta. But concerns about that would be best posted to their forums where they can see it and react appropriately.
Absolutely! I participate in their forum as well. I posted my mention of CCC beta 5 to counter the impression given that CCC was in front of SD.