Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 PM

WD My Passport Studio Drive won't boot

Hi

I recently purchased a portable Western Digital My Passport Studio Drive - 500 GB, 800/400 fw. I have partitioned the drive into two partitions - one for SuperDuper, the other for storing images. The drive itself is GUID partitioned, per Disk Utility, and each partition is Mac Os Extended (Journaled).

No problem creating the SuperDuper clone, or backing up. However, today, I attempted to boot from it. While it is recognized in System Preferences>Startup Disk, and I can select it, the partition will not boot. As an alternative I started up holding down the option key. Only the main HD appears.

Appreciate any guidance to get this to work correctly.

Western Digital My Passport Slim 1TB, USB 3.0 for MBP
Envoy Pro EX SSD - Thunderbolt 3 for iMac
Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Is this for the iBook or the iMac?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Hi

Settings are now correct.

This is for a new MacBook Pro, 2.53 ghz, 320 gb hd.

Last edited by 2stepbay; 12-14-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

If it's showing up in the Startup Disk preference pane, it should show up at Option+boot time too, unless -- perhaps -- it's not spinning up properly.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM

As I think back, I have been able to boot from this drive. What has changed in the interim is the latest Apple firmware changes for the MPB. Is it possible that a change in the firmware would affect the booting of the drive?

I backed up the drive last night for the first time since making the Firmware changes to the MPB. BU ran with no problem. This AM was my first boot from the clone subsequent to the Firmware changes.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

It shouldn't affect the booting of the drive, but it's certainly possible that it's changed the way external drives are detected, or timing values, etc. Haven't had other similar reports, though.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 AM

for what it's worth...(knock on wood)
had success backing up to/booting from a WD Passport (III) Studio 320Gb unit purchased last month from Apple Store.

Using the Firewire cabling (not yet tried USB cable) i've seen no problems using this drive as both TimeMachine/SuperDuper volumes, partitioned GUID 100/220.

MacBook (late 2006) 2GHz/2G OSX10.5.6
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Smile Guid

My WD Passport works fine when holding the option key at startup as long as its reformatted GUID.

(WD Passport 2.5" on MBP 2.4Ghz with latest firmware)

Last edited by flick; 02-10-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 AM

Dont forget when you power up holding the option key (ALT) wait until you see the startup disk options before plugging the drive in.

If the drive's connected before system powerup it doesn't spin up until later in the boot process and won't be detected as a boot device.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Thank you FLICK!!! On Black friday I went ahead and purchased two WD Passport Studio Fire HD's (GREAT Deal). I easily backed up using SD. Could not, for the life of me why the "bootable" backup would not boot. NEVER would have given this a thought. WORKS PERFECTLY!!! Thanks for the post...

Ps.. Yes "chriswaco", it really does work!!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 PM

solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post
Hi

I recently purchased a portable Western Digital My Passport Studio Drive - 500 GB, 800/400 fw. I have partitioned the drive into two partitions - one for SuperDuper, the other for storing images. The drive itself is GUID partitioned, per Disk Utility, and each partition is Mac Os Extended (Journaled).

No problem creating the SuperDuper clone, or backing up. However, today, I attempted to boot from it. While it is recognized in System Preferences>Startup Disk, and I can select it, the partition will not boot. As an alternative I started up holding down the option key. Only the main HD appears.

I have the same problem but have found a workaround on the net:

start with the drive disconnected then hold alt key. when the drive list appears PLUGIN the wd drive. Now it appears and you can boot from it.
There must be a problem with the fw implementation on the wd. But this workaround works.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post
Hi

Try booting from USB instead of Firewire. I can't get the Passport Studio to boot from Firewire either, which is very annoying. Works fine from USB, but I paid nearly double for a faster Firewire 800 drive.

Someone posted that it might be a "LUN" ("Logical Unit Number") problem with the drive. Someone else I know with a different firmware version can boot his Mac via firewire, so it could be that there's an upgrade or downgrade available.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 AM

chriswaco

I assume you tried the firewire boot workaround suggested above by flick and seconded by manfredell? I am kind of curious if it works.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Smile Got It!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Thank you FLICK!!! On Black friday I went ahead and purchased two WD Passport Studio Fire HD's (GREAT Deal). I easily backed up using SD. Could not, for the life of me why the "bootable" backup would not boot. NEVER would have given this a thought. WORKS PERFECTLY!!! Thanks for the post...

To Sum It Up: DISCONNECT WD Passport Firewire Drive. Boot, holding "option" key. When system pauses and list appears, plug in HD Firewire Drive. TaDa!! It now appears as a BOOTABLE option!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Administrator

You shouldn't have to do this kind of thing, though, great deal or not...