Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 AM

Suggestion: "Rerun Now"

Hi, I'm sorry if I have already made this suggestion in the past; it would be great if there were a mechanism (button?) to rerun failed jobs.

Sometimes during the morning, I get the screen you can see in the attach. It is usually my fault (forgot to tun a drive on, etc.). What I'd love is to have the ability to tell that screen over there: Run Now! (the selected job).

This not only comes handy when you have a failed job, but also when you want to execute certain backup*?now". Like I have my schedule, but I am leaving earlier today and I wanna run a few backups before I do so.

In my humble opinion, it has got to be a simple "run now" button.

Hope it's possible and not crazy.

Good Luck and Excellent Product (as usual)

Martin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDLog.jpg (57.8 KB, 1434 views)
Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!
It's always a pleasure; oh but you know me already.

p.s.: I've seen "a lot of similar requests". Forgive my utter lack of common sense to perform a SBP™ (Search Before Posting)

Old 09-29-2007, 06:45 AM

Bumping this thread ...

I agree that this would indeed be a very useful feature. I have 4 different jobs scheduled but if I have to re-run any of them, at the moment I have no way to do it other than selecting all the drop downs and the various options that I have customized for each scheduled job.

Here is my vote to add this feature to the next release.

S.r.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 PM

Looking at the interface of SuperDuper, the way I would envision this working without drastic changes would be that on selection of a particular schedule in the "Scheduled Copies" window, the main window "Super Duper" would dynamically re-configure itself to the settings used for that scheduled item. To re-run, the user would use the normal "Copy Now" button to re-run the scheduled item.

I would think this would not be too difficult to implement?

S.r.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator

It's more difficult than you might think, actually. But thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by dnanian; 10-07-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: (Stupid misspelling fixed.)
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
It's more difficult than you might think, actually. But thank for the suggestion!
I think that despite what Time Machine has to offer in Leopard, the Clone (and later smart update) ability of SD! is still very much needed. It doesn't matter how many time machine drives you've got. If your OS fails to boot or you need to "sand box" an update, only software like SD! will save you in a shorter period of time (no pun intended).

Despite that, my biggest gripe with SD! is that whereas is excels at being "backup for mere mortals", it should include a few more options on top of that. One of those is the ability to re-run any scheduled backup "now", because of the nature of SD! and the lack of a real daemon capable of backing up when you are not logged, you will encounter failed jobs if you forget to log in or for some reason you box is locked.

This adds a layer of "complexity" on top of the very simple SD! operation, the "normal user" has no idea about this and may wonder why all his/her jobs are failing every day when he wakes up his/her box.

I still insist that SD! is faster and more efficient than CCC -even in its newest version-. I've tried 'em and I sticked with SD! so far.

I hope that Dave and his team are secretely working on a SD! update that will leave our mouths open.

I feel like this SD!/CCC/Etc. vs Time Machine issue is not an issue at all. Both technologies have a purpose on different situations. This is like Quicksilver Vs. Spotlight.

I guess that only time will tell

In the mean time, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Martín.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words, Martín!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
it would be great if there were a mechanism (button?) to rerun failed jobs..
As a newbie customer of Shirt Pocket's I just wanted to add my vote too. The possibility to easily re-run missed backup schedules would be wonderful . Hope we'll be seeing this in a near future release. Please please...