Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-07-2004, 02:32 PM

Question SuperDuper! Question(s)

Hey everyone, sorry to barge in here like this, I browsed a few threads and didn't see this asked yet so here I go...

Anyway, I'm evaluating some backup program options for a new LaCie 160GB external drive I just bought so I could back up my HD. Basically, there's a hardware issue with my Powerbook that Apple needs to fix. For them to fix it, I have to send the Powerbook into them and they cannot guarantee that my data will be there when I get it back.

All I want to do is clone my HD to the external drive and make that drive bootable so that if Apple does mess with my hard drive, I can boot from the firewire drive, run Disk Utility and restore the firewire disk to the Powerbook hard drive. The reasons that I want to do this are the usual suspects, don't feel like recreating and reinstalling everything, etc., etc.

Will SuperDuper! accomplish this? I downloaded it and am trying it right now...what I did was erase the firewire drive and enabled it as a Mac OS X (journaled) drive. What ever that means.

I started SuperDuper! and selected to copy the "Macintosh HD" to the "Clone" partition on the firewire drive and selected the script "Backup - all files".

Will this accomplish what I am looking to do?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 09-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You're not barging in, Tom -- this is exactly what the forums are for.

Indeed, SuperDuper! will do this, no problem, and you're doing it exactly right. After your "Backup - all files" is done, try booting from it just to make sure it's working OK. Note that we've seen quite a few examples of the Porsche Design version of the LaCie drive with some seriously weird firewire/hard drive problems, that generate I/O errors with SuperDuper! and other programs that intensively use the drive. Be aware!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
You're not barging in, Tom -- this is exactly what the forums are for.

Indeed, SuperDuper! will do this, no problem, and you're doing it exactly right. After your "Backup - all files" is done, try booting from it just to make sure it's working OK. Note that we've seen quite a few examples of the Porsche Design version of the LaCie drive with some seriously weird firewire/hard drive problems, that generate I/O errors with SuperDuper! and other programs that intensively use the drive. Be aware!
Dave, thanks for the response. Unfortunately that's the exact variant of the LaCie drive I got, the Porsche variant...no errors yet at 24 minutes so I'll hold out hope that it will go smoothly.

I was just checking out some of the other features SD has such as a "Smart Update" and if this works, I'll definitely throw down the $19.95 for it. And I swear I'm not just pouring candy in your ears because you're helping me...

I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 09-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Administrator

mmm... Candy!

Here's hoping it goes well. SuperDuper! -- unlike some other programs, including LaCie's own SilverKeeper -- will flag the I/O errors and not let you think that your backup went smoothly when it didn't. When I saw that happen, I was seriously shocked...

The d2 variant, also a LaCie, is actually not much more expensive ($30, I believe), and we haven't seen this kind of problem in the field with it. Just be aware, and careful.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:
The d2 variant, also a LaCie, is actually not much more expensive ($30, I believe), and we haven't seen this kind of problem in the field with it. Just be aware, and careful.
Well, a lot of good that information does for me seeing that I've already bought the Porsche variant, unpacked and have been using it!

Couldn't you retroactively let me know this as of two days ago?

Old 09-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Well, if it proves to be one of the bad ones, you'll know soon enough -- at that point, it's defective and should be able to be returned.

I'll send this information to your two-day-ago self so you'll know it then...
Old 09-07-2004, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Well, if it proves to be one of the bad ones, you'll know soon enough -- at that point, it's defective and should be able to be returned.

I'll send this information to your two-day-ago self so you'll know it then...
It's about 85% done at this point so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I pulled this from Apple's discussion board, from a thread I started about backups:

"Your external drive should be formatted as HFS+. External drives should not be formatted as Journaled."

Any truth to this?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Not that I know of. Why wouldn't you want them to be Journaled?

Can you point me to this discussion?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Not that I know of. Why wouldn't you want them to be Journaled?

Can you point me to this discussion?
http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...u7.0@.689a67be
Old 09-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Well, I did some research, and I just don't know why this particular user is saying what he's saying. He doesn't back it up with any facts, so it's hard to judge the comment on the merits.

Here's what I found at Apple's support site... doesn't say not to use Journaled...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107249
Old 09-07-2004, 03:48 PM

Well, that was easy, I guess I got lucky with my LaCie.

Now, if I wanted to restore that clone I would:
1. Boot up from the clone
2. Using Disk Utility, erase the target disk, the hard drive on my Powerbook (that whole Mac OS X journaled thing)
3. Run SuperDuper! from the firewire cloned disk, and copy "Clone" to "Macintosh HD".

That's it right?

And what does it mean when you state that "...except the temporary and system-specific files that Apple recommends excluding..."?

And last question, my $19.95 gets me the SmartUpdate right?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Administrator

That's all there is to it. The manual discusses this pretty extensively in sections 3-5. You don't even have to erase your drive with Disk Utility: you could use Smart Update, or just use "Erase, then copy", since it (internally) uses Disk Utility to erase.

That's really it.

The special excluded files are things like temporary files (in /tmp), your VM swap files, and the like. A full list can be found in the appropriate script, but don't worry about it too much -- really!

And, yes -- your money gets you Smart Update, the ability to save/restore settings, modify scripts, use the Safety Clone scripts, etc... not to mention future features.