Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-11-2006, 05:55 AM

'Operation Not Permitted' & Standard Script Files...

This might be a simple problem, and if someone could help with a resolution I'd appreciate it:

As I have a sparseimage of my external FW drive on the PB, I create a new script to exclude that big file from backing up to the PB Backup partition on the FW Drive. SD! reports this message, however:

|Info| PHASE: Clone from Source to Target
|Info| ...ACTION: Copy Files from Armored Saint to PB Backup
|Info| ......COMMAND => Cloning Armored Saint to PB Backup
|Info| Copying different files with delete using script: /Users/Armored Saint/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/Exclude PocketHD SparseImage File.dset
|Error| ****FAILED****: result=4 errno=1 (Operation not permitted)

I'd also like to know why I can't modify the standard scripts to include further 'ignore' paths. I simply wanted to add the ignore path to the PB sparseimage file but couldn't.

I always seem to have to save a modified standard script under a different .dset filename.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
In this case, you're including the script into itself, which is causing a failure.

We don't let you modify built-in scripts because we change them on occasion, and you want to benefit from our changes. So, instead, follow the steps in the User's Guide... I describe an exclusion in lots of detail, including basing something on "Backup - all files", rather than modifying it.

Does that help?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the response. Hmm, how have I included the script in itself? Also, why does this seem so 'complicated' to do - something just as inserting a line to ignore the path in the script?

Lastly, are the exclude instructions in the help section of the program or on this forum?

Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

I don't know how or why you did it, it just seems that that's what you did, from what I can tell given the error.

The instructions are detailed in the User's Guide. Just choose "Help > User's Guide" and click on "Exclude a folder from a backup" right on the very first page of the guide. It'll step you right through the process.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 AM

You were right about including the script in itself, Dave. Got that sorted out by removing it from the 'Included Scripts' tab and basically what I've have now is a clone of the existing 'Backup All Files' script, and include an additional ignore path in the 'Script Commands' tab.

Now I've got a perfect working cloning routine for both the PB and FW HD.

Great stuff! Thanks once again.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

You're welcome, but let me encourage you again to include, not copy, the "Backup - all files" script, and then just add the command you need. Doing so means that if we change the "Backup - all files" script to handle things in new versions of the OS, you'll automatically benefit from those changes...