Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2010, 06:56 AM

Exclamation Back up gone wrong. SD writes files to Start Volume???

Hi everyone.

I seem to have a huge and now rather urgent problem.

I just wanted to backup my girlfriend's MacBook with its 250GB drive. I connected an 250GB external USB drive which I first erased with the disk utility. I then downloaded SD (unregistered) and started the Backup process.

I am ABSOLUTELY sure that I put her Start volume on the left and the external target volume on the right - I even triple checked after the (following) problem occured.

There were some 17 GB free space left on her Start volume.
I started the backup process and everything went as it should for a while.
Then suddenly this OS X warning pops up "Not much space left on start volume, erase some files etc.".

I then checked the space on the start volume and indeed it showed me 0 kb of space left. I then started to panic and stopped the SD process, since it was the only program that was doing anything (it was happily keeping on with the backup) and I suspected it to be the program that was causing the problem.

I then shut down SD (had to force quit it), restarted the MacBook and the space is still gone. And on my USB hard drive are now pretty much exactly 17 GB which seems to equal the amount of data that was also written to the MB.

Does anybody know what is going on? It seems like SD has written some data to my Source volume?
I have been using SD (registered) for years and never had any problems with it. And now something like this happens and I have no clue, what's going on.

Is there a way to fix things back to their old status? And how can I make a proper backup now?

Regards,

MD

Edit: All the original data seems to be there, but I cannot be sure (if maybe the process after it reached 0 kb of open space started to maybe overwrite original data).
Also when I search one of the files that are already backed up to the USB drive with Spotlight on the MB I do not find the file twice, but only once (I was kind of expecting to maybe find the file a second time in case SD had for some reason started to write the very same files to the Start volume).

OS is 10.5.8 btw.

Last edited by MasterDomino; 09-25-2010 at 07:05 AM.