Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 AM

Security Vs. Automation and the cron msg

Hi there,

I'd like to point out that I've read the F... manual, it clearly says that:

"SuperDuper! does not have to be running for a schedule backup to
take place, but the user who scheduled it does have to be logged in,
with their account in front (if Fast User Switching is active), and the
screen must be unlocked. "

The problem with this (which is understandable so far, given there's no daemon for SD! (Afaik)) is that if I fast user switch (no other "macintosh" way to lock your screen), SD won't run, but it won't let me know that, except for the cron daemon sending me a mail (who uses Terminal anyways, I do but...).

The message says: INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the WindowServer.

This means, what it says, and I understand it. The huge problem is that this limitation should be overcome somehow. (sddaemon?)
The second problem is that the log won't reflect this. The entry will not be in red so you cannot really "see" if it failed (by taking a quick glance at that window).

I have to lock my box to prevent "unauth" access from people walking around the office; the box automatically wakes up before I get to the office and a handful of clones/smartupdates/scripts are run, the thing is if I forget to NOT fastuser switch at night before I "go to sleep", I'll miss the backups and more importantly, I might never notice. I use Terminal all day to connect to other boxes, but I don't think everybody does.

Then again, who fast user switchs? Perhaps my request is a little bit more "corporate" than "joe user".

What do you think ?