Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 AM

Using SuperDuper on MacBook

Hello.

I'm wanting to setup SuperDuper on my wife's MacBook. It will perform backups by connecting to a Time Capsule and performing a "Smart Update".

The problem is that she closes the lid during the night and any time she's not using it. In this state, SuperDuper will not perform its magic.

My question is what have others done to get around this? Is there some way you can set up SuperDuper to run the next time the MacBook wakes up? I'm trying to make this automated so she doesn't need to think about running something or worry if her data is actually getting backed up.

I've thought about setting it for a time that she normally is on the computer but I'm looking for a solution for when she's not on at that time and gets on maybe an hour after the scheduled backup.

Thanks!

Bronson
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It's not really a case we're designed to handle, Bronson: we consciously skip copies that occur when the Mac isn't available. But, you could follow the general "One Touch Button" FAQ instructions and -- rather than using a button -- use iCal to set a daily alarm to run the little script driver. That would 'fire' on wake, since iCal 'remembers' alarms.

But if the Mac was off for, say, a few days, you might end up with a few backups 'stacked up'.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
It's not really a case we're designed to handle, Bronson: we consciously skip copies that occur when the Mac isn't available. But, you could follow the general "One Touch Button" FAQ instructions and -- rather than using a button -- use iCal to set a daily alarm to run the little script driver. That would 'fire' on wake, since iCal 'remembers' alarms.

But if the Mac was off for, say, a few days, you might end up with a few backups 'stacked up'.
Thanks Dave. This may be exactly what I want.

--
Bronson
Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosegroove View Post
Thanks Dave. This may be exactly what I want.

--
Bronson
can't you use the Schedule options in the Energy Saver prefs to wake the MB before the scheduled clone and then put it back to sleep again later?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I don't believe MacBooks will wake when the lid is down.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosegroove View Post
Hello.

...the problem is that she closes the lid during the night and any time she's not using it...
There might be good reasons for this -- but another possible approach is to re-engineer the lid-closing habit.

On AC power, with Energy Saver set to turn off the display's backlight but not sleep the entire Mac, there's not much cost involved with that.

The MacBook will even carry on as normal with the lid an inch away from completely shut.

/swv
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I don't believe MacBooks will wake when the lid is down.
i thought they were the same as MacBook Pros in this regard?

the Energy Saver preferences Scheduler will definitely wake my MBP from sleep, with lid up or down...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swivet View Post
There might be good reasons for this -- but another possible approach is to re-engineer the lid-closing habit.

On AC power, with Energy Saver set to turn off the display's backlight but not sleep the entire Mac, there's not much cost involved with that.

The MacBook will even carry on as normal with the lid an inch away from completely shut.

/swv
the Scheduler in the Energy Saver prefs will definitely wake the MB from sleep with the lid up, and unless the MB is different in this regard to the MBP (which i don't think it is), it will also work with the lid down...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

It's a bit weird for it to do that, but I'm not sure I'd recommend running a laptop with the lid down. They rely on the upper surface to do quite a bit of cooling...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
They rely on the upper surface to do quite a bit of cooling...
CPU humming, disk churning, display burning, fan roaring... lid shut tight. I am scared of this.

/swv
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 PM

i personally don't run mine with the lid down, but it is very common and they are designed to do that (the Apple site tells you how)...

some people prefer to run with just an external display of some kind and the lid closed...
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 AM

fishmonkey

Since six months of the year, this is my normal operating mode, what you say needs some clarification. Dave is basically correct, in that the portables will NOT wake from sleep with the lid closed, regardless of energy saver or other pref settings, if no external monitor is connected.

I will also say that if you do have an external monitor connected, like I do, I think it's better to run the machine with the lid open. There are options to allow the (laptop) screen to remain dark in that situation.

But to the OP's problem, he does not state if his wife's machine has an external monitor or not. I sort of doubt it, given her "lid closing" habit. Swivet's original idea, just darkening the screen while leaving the machine awake is probably the best. Note this can be done with the lid nearly closed, as he said. She would have to remember not to close the lid completely on night(s) when a backup is scheduled.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMay View Post
fishmonkey

Since six months of the year, this is my normal operating mode, what you say needs some clarification. Dave is basically correct, in that the portables will NOT wake from sleep with the lid closed, regardless of energy saver or other pref settings, if no external monitor is connected.

I will also say that if you do have an external monitor connected, like I do, I think it's better to run the machine with the lid open. There are options to allow the (laptop) screen to remain dark in that situation.

But to the OP's problem, he does not state if his wife's machine has an external monitor or not. I sort of doubt it, given her "lid closing" habit. Swivet's original idea, just darkening the screen while leaving the machine awake is probably the best. Note this can be done with the lid nearly closed, as he said. She would have to remember not to close the lid completely on night(s) when a backup is scheduled.
well, i just put my MBP to sleep, disconnected my external monitor, woke it up again, set the Scheduler, put it back to sleep and closed the lid, and guess what: the Scheduler woke it up....

there are numerous threads on the interwebs debating the pros and cons of running in "clamshell" mode... as i said i prefer not to, but many people have reported no problems with running their machine that way, and there are official Apple support docs covering clamshell mode...

my MBP has accidentally run in clamshell mode for many hours in a very hot room, without any problems... sure the fans were maxxed out, but the temperatures did not go above the normal range...

and it doesn't take long to run a single smart update in any case... and besides, you can also set the Scheduler to put the Mac back to sleep later...

i can understand the feeling that running with the lid closed is inferior to running with the lid open, but that doesn't mean that in reality it's the wrong thing to do...
Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 PM

fishmonkey

Well, I know for a fact that none of the PPC powerbooks will work that way. I believe yours won't either, if you boot up without the monitor (external) connected. I could be wrong, as I am currently without my Intel MBP (a son has borrowed) so can't test, but do me a favor. Reboot your laptop without an external monitor connected, then try the sleep and Scheduler business and post what happens.

(Of course, stop and think about it, why would anybody use "clamshell" without an external monitor, hence with no monitor at all? The laptop makes kind of a limited dedicated server, but maybe while serving video to a TV?) Anyway, give it a try.

(BTW, I have always thought that when Apple and others referred to "clamshell" mode, they were NOT talking about with the lid closed, but with the lid open and dark. Machine does not look much like a "clamshell" when it's closed but of course, yes, it works fine [if hot, see below] that way.)

A final note about the heat, not for you but for others reading. I have owned, or my company has owned, I believe every size iteration of recent year's Powerbooks and Pros; no unibodies yet (we have never used any model ibook or Macbook.) I will state that "smaller is worser" in the heat department; the 15's run hotter than the 17's, the 12's run hotter than the 15's. I would be extemely reluctant to run these machines, especially the smaller ones, with lid closed for any extended length of time, particularly as the ambient around it increases (I am in South Florida.) I also don't see the need; if dust is the issue, the screen can be kept at at a 30, 45, whatever, degree angle.

P.S. What happens if you boot without the monitor, put it to sleep, then plug in the monitor I don't know, but I don't think that will subsequently wake either....but it might.

Last edited by TMay; 02-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:11 PM

hey

at the top of my previous post you can see that i already did the test that you are talking about (scheduled wake up with no external monitor connected)...

um, you might want to run audio with the lid closed, or your backups, haha... also, i haven't tried it, but i wouldn't be surprised if the MB/MBP will wake for ethernet admin access in clamshell mode too...

i certainly wouldn't recommend clamshell mode for extended periods in a hot ambient environment, but in a more modest climate, or with air conditioning, from what i've read the heat doesn't seem to be an issue...

also, i think maybe you are maybe taking the heat issue a bit far... yes some laptops run hotter than others, but just because one machine runs hotter than another doesn't make it "worse"... there are acceptable operating temperature ranges, and as long as a machine is in the range, well, what's the problem?

and after all, going back to the OP, we are talking about a simple Smart Update onto an external drive, a relatively short and non-CPU intensive operation, no?