Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-08-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
From my recent experience with the Spotty Cat IMO the question should be: When will Leopard be ready for SD?
Thanks to the life-saver, I am now back in Tiger and purring quite happily myself. All the machines on my LAN can now print - again.
Let's wait, friends, just wait. For Leopard to be ready for prime time, for HP et al. to get the drivers out, and for SD! to take its own sweet time.
Thanks to all, Dave, for a restore that went without a glitch or hiccup - and was very fast!
What? I have Leopard and a HP printer and I can print just fine. I Love Leopard!

The only thing wrong now, is some important programs like SD still are incompatible with Leopard. HOWEVER that's only for the time being.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 PM

I've also got a pair of HP laser printers and they work perfectly with Leopard. They are both postscript (as all printers should be) so the printer driver doesn't do any heavy lifting.

Sheldon
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to fergus Send a message via Skype™ to fergus
I'm also glad the time is being taken - I'd much rather wait than have a quick release with bugs being mopped up later... especially with backup software. Props to you Dave!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 PM

Well, I got tired of waiting. I successfully used the newest carbon copy cloner to image my new 250gb drive for my macbook. Newest CCC has scheduling & supports updating the image with only things that have changed. It's at least a good alternative until SD gets updated. I'm typing this on my newly imaged drive and haven't had any issues in a day or so. Keeping the old drive around just in case
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM

If SD works with Leopard now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We're working on it -- testing and tweaking. We want it to be right, so we can't rush it out the door...
Hi Dave,

Here's what I have done. I partitioned my internal Hard Drive into 2, one for 10.4.10 and one for 10.5. I have backed up my 10.4.10 partition to one of 3 partitions on my external drive. The three are for, one 10.4.10, one for 10.5 (I'm backing that up as I write this from my MacBook) and one for the MacBook itself. The 1st time I backed up Leopard it (erase and copy) it got 3/4s of the way through and SD crashed. So trying again. Will report back if this backup goes OK. There is an option to back up ACS files when Leopard is running SD. What are those?

Just upgrading to Leopard was a nightmare and, as I now know, not the way to go. I backed up 10.4.10 to one partition after erasing it and now Leopard seems to have calmed down a bit after doing a clean install, with only a few sporadic crashes.

Booting Leopard from a SD bootable copy via USB (yeah I have another external drive) doesn't work.

Update. SD just crashed at about the same time as before. I'll try doing an SD copy of Leopard to my Leopard backup partition while running 10.4.10 and let you know how that goes.

Can't wait for SD Leopard. Keep us posted.

Regards,

Carter
Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You can try turning off the "ACL Copy" option in Advanced preferences, Carter -- but, it's not compatible, so this kind of thing is inevitable.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to KevinBBG
Quote:
We're working on it -- testing and tweaking. We want it to be right, so we can't rush it out the door...
I for one, certainly want to wait for it to be right, I've depended on SuperDuper! for a couple of years now and intend to for quite some.

We can use it now to back up Tiger then install Leopard and have our safety net. I did this very thing when I upgraded to Tiger, ran into some problems but was on deadlines and could not take the time to figure it out. So I booted on my Panther clone and kept working for a few days until I could get back to deal with Tiger.

With Time Machine you are supposed to be able to limit what you back up. I intend to still make Leopard clones with SD! like I always have and have Time Machine back up only my files. It makes sense to have a weeks worth of changes on a file and to be able to go back and restore from any point in that week. But there is no need to do that for the system. This should keep Time Machine nice and trim so it doesn't take too long or use up too much disk space.

Apple really put in Time Machine because the majority of Mac users do not back up at all so they wanted to make it easy and painless. But for those of us who do back up TM would just be one more resource to increase our depth of safety.

Kevin
http://dailybbg.blogspot.com/
Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
We're making good progress, Steve & everyone. But, as I've said (over and over and over), we're taking our time to make sure it's right. It's something we've always done -- it's one of the reasons why you like us.
But the main reason I like you is because superduper! backs up my mac, or at least it use to.

I love superduper, don't get me wrong. I appreciate your hard work. But it's going on 3 weeks now and I haven't been able to back up my mac. I hope an update is coming soon. Yes, I want it done right, but the amount of time that is acceptable to wait is coming to an end in my opinion.

I don't want to use time machine, or another backup application. I chose superduper!, and paid money for superduper! because that's the application I wanted to use. In all due respect, I hope I get to use it again very soon.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:56 AM

"Yes, I want it done right, but the amount of time that is acceptable to wait is coming to an end in my opinion."

The word "but" negates the previously stated. Lets see if we can thing of something that was rushed to market not ready. VISTA, LEOPA..
Old 11-14-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
The word "but" negates the previously stated. Lets see if we can thing of something that was rushed to market not ready. VISTA, LEOPA..
No it doesn't. In fact, I'd say the opposite. The fact that it has to be done right doesn't mean that any time frame is acceptable. There's a time limit (a month? 2 months?) when "got to do it right" doesn't cut it. I'm simply saying that in my opinion that time is coming. I hope to see it out in the next week. If it's going to be much longer I feel we should be told as much.

(and leopard has been wonderfully perfect for me, so maybe they rushed yours and not mine)
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Sorry, Daniel. Going as quickly as we can. It's not like we're sitting on our hands, with our heads in troughs of ice cream.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Daniel. Going as quickly as we can. It's not like we're sitting on our hands, with our heads in troughs of ice cream.
Perhaps part of the problem is that the Shirt Pocket home page still suggests that you still don't have the official release of Leopard!

I too am waiting patiently, but some updates on the Shirt Pocket/Super Duper home page as to progress might prevent people asking the same questions over and over (and over)!

For what it's worth, the folks at Parallels haven't updated their software either!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Working on a status update, trying to find time. Basically, things are going well...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Working on a status update, trying to find time. Basically, things are going well...
Glad to hear things are going well. Can you possibly give a general timeframe for completion (i.e. days? weeks? etc.)?

Thanks for a great product!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Certainly not days. Working as fast as we can.