Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 AM

How do I actually make use of a back up of only user files?

Hi!

Using SD I made a backup of my user files (using the standard SD script called "Backup - user files") into an image file (on a network drive).
I had an idea that it might be a good idea to have a backup the day I make a mess out of my current user account - or if I'd at some point like to move the account to another boot partition or another computer.

Then I wanted to check that I actually can use the backup I just made.

I never came to think of a straightforward way to do this with SD, so my first idea was to use Migration Assistant.

I might be wrong (and I hope I am!), but it seems that Migration Assistant can only see data that is on a volume with Mac OS X installed - and where the data is an integrated part of that installation. So no luck.

How is it, can SD restore these files intelligently back to the original drive?
Or can SD transfer them to another Mac OS X installation (preferably the same version of Mac OS X as the original drive)?

If this is possible, which steps should I take to accomplish these tasks?

On the other hand, if SD can't do this either, surely there has to be another way than try to copy them in the Finder??

-matts