Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Willing to pay

I imaged my 'old' MacBook Pro with SuperDuper, and am unable to restore the image on my new one. When I boot I can see and select the imaged drive, but it never fully boots (the screen simply flickers). I would be more than happy to pay for someone to help me (or register SuperDuper if that is all that it takes).
Thanks all,
mE
Old 03-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Anyone have any input?

Sorry to be an ID10t, but I am at a loss here (and $2500 poorer).
Old 03-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
So, hold on, Matt: you had a Core Duo and you're trying to restore that copy to a Core Duo 2?

You can't do that, at least not yet: the problem is that the Core Duo 2's came with a special build of OSX, and the "old" 10.4.8 won't run on them.

Instead, you need to *migrate* from the backup to the new Mac, using the Migration Assistant that appears during the first startup of OSX. (You can get back to a clean OS by using the disc that came with your MacBook.)

Hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Will try. Thanks for the input (to an OLD UNIX guy who is embracing Mac over M$).

Many thanks and sorry for the ignorance, mE
Old 03-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

No problem. This is a confusing part of the OS: while it's "universal" in the sense that a given version will start all the Macs that support that OS (of the same chip) release BEFORE that date, later Macs have special drivers that are only "synced up" at the next update release (e.g. 10.4.9).
Old 03-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Full embarassment

For someone who is a 25+ year hardware and software development geek, I am totally embarassed to ask how to migrate my apps (ouch, that is going to leave a mark[g]).
Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 PM

More specifics

And a little bit more info... my old 'book was running Parallels with XP as well. I really thought that I was going to be ab le to simply re-image my new Mac with the old data. Would you be able to direct me in the right direction for migrating? Sorry again for being such a total dork!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Administrator

It's part of the installer, Matt. When you start up from a clean install, it asks whether you want to migrate from an "old mac or partition"...
Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 PM

Eating serious crow

So prior to my last responses, I did a full re-install from the disks, but was not asked anything about migration. I am feeling like a serious dork right now and appreciate your help (P.S. where can I donate some cashish for your insight?).
Old 03-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator

During the first boot it should have asked, Matt. This is Tiger, right? It didn't ask if you want to copy data from an "old mac"?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 PM

It didn't

It didn't ask me on first boot. I have tried reinstalling from disk twice now, and no request for upgrade. Quite the frustrating exercise...
Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator

I can't explain that, Matt... sorry. Perhaps you should contact Apple?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM

Bummer

Thanks for your insight. I wish that I knew why I am being such a bonehead. Maybe I should turn it over to my kids [g]. Take care, Matt
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 AM

If its OS 10.4 you have installed, you should be able to find the Migration Assistant application in either the Applications folder or the Applications/Utilities folder. Once started, it will advise you how to proceed to bring across data from another computer/disk, though obviously you are likely to end up with an additional user on the new machine (the one created when you installed OSX) compared to the old machine.

Since the new user created at installation will be an administrative user, you can put it to good use by only using it for things that require running out of an administrator account (e.g. for running SuperDuper). The day to day user accounts, that you likely brought across from the old machine, could then be changed to standard user accounts, so that you enjoy the extra security to prevent malicious software running, that a standard account offers. There will be the expense of lots of alerts and the need to enter an administrator password when installing genuinely wanted software, but for most people that wont be that often.