Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-19-2005, 10:50 PM

Quiting running applications

I'm planning on scheduling a nightly smart update of my startup drive to external drive and I read the note in the user manual about quiting running applications.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can automate quiting any running applications and then also launch certain applications after the smart update is complete?

If I leave applications running and receive no errors during the backup, do I really need to worry about it?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
In general, no. We suggest this to make sure you get exactly the backup you expect, but it's not 100% necessary, and if your backup completes without error, you're likely to be just fine.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:33 PM

A possibility?

I have a script keyed to a keystroke that quits several specific apps I usually have open (Mail, Safari, Hogwasher, NetNewsWire). At the least I always quit mail before backing up because I have it in my head that the mailboxes are problematic in the backup process.

I now have SD! to start up, use a setting, and then quit. In another query here about Automator I get the idea that I could edit the SD! script mentioned in that thread to include the quit apps script. Shoot, I'm thinking I could also add the script (actually an Automator-made app) I have to start up those 4 apps. Curiously, I was able to use Automator to make that opening "script' but had to use AS to do the close apps.

In summary, I'm thinking I can edit a SD! script to include "quit apps" before doing anything and then to "launch apps" once SD! runs. More, I could make this a Setting, run with the "run without user action" script mentioned in yet another thread, all set to go on a keystroke.

Possible?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Sure, you could edit those scripts -- note that the script mentioned only runs when scheduled -- as long as you know enough AppleScript to do this effectively.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:31 PM

Duly noted.

Got something to play with over the holidays.

Thanks, Dave.

All the best to you and yours, Dave.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Same back at you!