Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Windows XP version(haha) SuperDuper

is there a comparable Windows product to Superduper or any suggestions for windows would be great would like native windows files in the back up?

Eric
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM

I've had good "luck" using Acronis*True*Image*Home 10.0, not 11. Many say it's not ready for prime time yet though some get good results. To get an idea of what's happening go to: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forum...aysprune=&f=65
Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 PM

Actually, from what I have been reading Vista has Time Machine...

You install Vista and you want to back in time to when you had XP.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:44 PM

In Windows world there's Norton Ghost which will image your HD. I've used it to create disk images, but I've never restored a complete system from them. There's also Drive Image -- which worked fine for me years ago. I believe it's been bought by Norton and probably killed or merged into Ghost.

I'd also recommend Norton Go Back, which doesn't do what SD does, but instead is like Time Machine for mac except it doesn't require a separate drive. It's a great program and saved my bacon many times.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Try xxclone. You can make bootable windows hard drive clones, including NTFS. http://www.xxclone.com
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to jonheal Send a message via MSN to jonheal Send a message via Yahoo to jonheal Send a message via Skype™ to jonheal
The one time I needed to recover a file using True Image, IT FAILED! I also had multiple incremental backups fail during backup. Eventually, I deleted the whole mess.

I did a ton of Googling, and one name kept coming up: ShadowProtect. I bought it. It's a little expensive -- I think it was 80 bucks, but it works. It does bare metal recoveries. I've backed up and restored (bare-metal) many times. Zero problems. Highly recommended.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 PM

I've read the manual on the XXCLONE web site. There are so many variable factors and quirks, that the thought of trying it is daunting. After reading it, I'm still not convinced that it will approximate what SD! does on the Mac. It says that a second INTERNAL hard drive will probably do well, but an external drive (USB or Firewire) is problematic due to Microsoft's piracy prevention methods. Moreover, I tried to get them to answer one prepurchase question via email and was greeted by a disclaimer that they may not answer the question due to a shortage of manpower. There are enough red flags there that I'm not going to bite. If what they say about Microsoft is true, perhaps no program can do a bootable clone on an external drive. Input from folks with experience in this area would be welcome. I have a Dell Dimension XPS that needs a bootable backup, but have no idea of whether that is possible.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM

Wind XP Copying

I have a laptop and would like to copy to an external 160 gig hard drive in case my hard drive fails in my laptop.
At this time I have on the EXternal Hard drive many files that I have dragged and dropped and constantly update manually each and every folder.
How can i image copy the hard drive from the laptop WITH OUT erasing what I have on the External hard drive.
thanks,
Old 12-03-2008, 02:04 AM

Winclone will create an image of a Bootcamp Windows partition from OSX. You can restore it to another (larger smaller newer) drive, like Superduper. Or just use it as a back up tool.

This may not be what you are asking. If you want to do it all within Windows, my vote is firmly with Acronis True Image.