Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 PM

question about use of restore function

Hi,

I purchased SuperDuper about a year ago and have been making full backups ("Backup – all files") on a regular basis, with the hope that I'll never need to try the restore function.

Having said that, I took a look at the Users Guide and there's one thing I'm not clear on (I'm probably just not looking in the right places).

It seems the instructions assume (?) that the restore will always be on the same physical drive that was backed up (e.g. drive crashed -> data lost -> restore on same drive).

How do you deal with catastrophic drive failure (or theft)? Lets say I've got a full backup sitting on a drive off-site, and my home machine is stolen (or gets flooded, burned, etc). So I purchase a new machine (new hardware), and I bring home my off-site drive that has a full SuperDuper backup of the old machine on it. What is the best way to proceed at this point?

I'm thinking I can't just do a plain vanilla SuperDuper restore because the new hardware (drive, I/O devices, etc) are different. In this event, what is the proper procedure to restore the new machine to be (from an applications + user data perspective) as close to the old machine as possible?

Do I use the Mac (new machine's) built in restore function? Or do I just connect up the drive with a firewire cable and drag over some folders manually (which ones?). I'm guessing I would need to reinstall applications manually (I have all my old registration keys so that wouldn't be a problem).

BTW - SuperDuper has worked flawlessly for me for backups ever since I purchased it. Great product, and I hope I never have to use the restore function, but nonetheless I thought I should try to understand how to use it in case I need it!

Thanks - ramblinwreck001