Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Can I Clone the Boot Disk to a Larger Disk?

I've got a number of factors which complicate what I want to do so I'm going to layout the whole scenario for you.

BACKGROUND
I bought a used Intel Mac Pro w/ four internal 750MB hard drives. The first disk is the boot disk. The other three disks are in a software raid-00 array. The boot disk also has a 13GB Parallels partition with Windows Vista.

REPLACE BOOT DISK WITH 1TB DRIVE
So what I want to do is clone my boot disk to a bare 1TB SATA drive I have and plug it into the first disk position in the computer. The complexity is that I don't want to mess with the other three drives for fear I'll loose all my data because they are in a raid-0 array.

What's the best solution to this? Is the Parallels partition going to screw things up? Can I backup that partition to a separate drive and then restore it later if I want?

Somebody gave me a USB to SATA converter. Can I clone the boot drive using that and then expect it to work when plugged into the SATA slot in the computer?

Thanks,

Rob:-]

Tags
clone boot disk