Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-28-2005, 07:00 PM

trying to automate sleep

I have a couple applescripts that work in isolation. One is just to tell Finder to sleep. The other tells SD to quit and then Finder to sleep. The latter I got the idea from a thread on VersionTracker referring to an error that that person's script wouldn't work because it SD wouldn't quit. With each script, when put into the options pane and SD run, I get the following error in the log.

|05:23:50 PM|Error| ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (imdc/IV32/intl)

Any ideas? I can't wait for version 2.

mf
Old 02-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Well, mf, that particular error just looks like something that gets sent to the console, and not an error in SD! as such (in either case, it's not an SD! error but a scripting problem).

I don't have enough information here, though, to diagnose. Where exactly are you putting these commands? Are they in a shell script and set in the "Customization Script" part of options? (They have to be...)

Can you run that shell script by hand?

A bit more info and I should be able to point you to a solution...
Old 03-01-2005, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=dnanian]Well, mf, that particular error just looks like something that gets sent to the console, and not an error in SD! as such (in either case, it's not an SD! error but a scripting problem).

For sure not SD!, didn't mean to imply. The line was copied from SD!'s log.

[QUOTE=dnanian]I don't have enough information here, though, to diagnose. Where exactly are you putting these commands? Are they in a shell script and set in the "Customization Script" part of options? (They have to be...)

It is an AppleScript saved as a Run Only Application. Not a shell script. It is set Run customization script in the Options pane.

[QUOTE=dnanian]Can you run that shell script by hand?

It runs in Applescript Studio and it runs stand-alone. That is, I can select it in Finder, double-click it, and it does what I want. My first attempt was such a script merely telling Finder to sleep. It worked fine but I got the same error. I gave up until I noticed the other thread here about shell scripts and someone's script not working because it couldn't get SD! to quit. So, I added that to the script. (Well, I saw this particular point in VersionTraker, I think.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
A bit more info and I should be able to point you to a solution...
Below is the text from the script. Initially saved as an Application in AS Studio it would not run by double-clicking (error said "Connection is Invalid."). When saved as Run Only as Application, when double-clicked it quits SD! and then puts the machine to sleep. But when called on by SD! via Run custom script, the error occurs.

Dang! I just double-clicked it and it gave the Connection is Invalid. Being as I am I immediately double-clicked it again and it ran. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I think I'll head for some Applescript forums. When messing with the script saved as Application (Run only not checked in dialog window) every single attempt gave the Connection is Invalid. Only once has a trial of the Run Only save gave that error.

Don't spend too much time onme. I can wait for v.2 to come out. And now the text, clearly nothing fancy!

tell application "SuperDuper!"
quit
end tell
tell application "Finder"
sleep
end tell
Old 03-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Yes, quite simple... the error definitely seems to be in a QuickTime component, though... maybe you missed the request above: could you provide a list of what's in /Library/QuickTime?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I read it and then forgot it. Sorry.

in /Library/QuickTime are
FLAC_Decoder.component
OggVorbis.component
Toast Video CD Support
ToastVideoCDSupport.component

there is no ~/Library Quicktime

in /System/Library/QuickTime
ApplePixletVideo.component
QuickTime Updater
QuickTime3GPP.component
QuickTimeBMPUpdate.component
QuickTimeComponents.component
QuickTimeFirewireDV.component
QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer.component
QuickTimeMPEG.component
QuickTimeMPEG2.component
QuickTimeMPEG4.component
QuickTimeStreaming.component
QuickTimeVR.component
Old 03-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Administrator

OK. Let's try moving the four components in /Library/QuickTime to a folder on your desktop and rebooting. See if that resolves the problem. If so, add them back one at a time until you get a failure... and when you do, that's the conflicting component...

(I'm guessing it's going to be one of the Toasts...)
Old 02-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Administrator

By the way, an error like that indicates a problem with a QuickTime component installed in /Library/QuickTime... any 3rd party entries in there, from DiVX for example? (it looks like it is supposed to deal with AVI files)