Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Scheduled SmartUpdate with Time Machine

I'm running SuperDuper 2.5 on Leopard Server 10.5.6. I just started using SuperDuper to create a bootable backup on the same drive that houses my Time Machine backups. However, there seems to be some disparity as to what SuperDuper does when run manually, and when it's scheduled.

Before I run manually, I see this text:

Quote:
Pressing "Copy Now" will use "Backup - all files" to copy OS to Backups using Smart Update. The Time Machine backups on Backups will be preserved. all files on OS will be copied to Backups, except the temporary ad system-specific files that Apple recommends excluding.

Smart Update will copy and erase what's needed to make Backups identical to your selections from OS. The result will mimic "Erase Backups, then copy files from OS", but will typically take a fraction of the time.
When I run the backup, it does what's expected. It mirrors the OS drive to the Backups drive, while maintaining the existing Time Machine backups.

But if I click "Schedule...", having already set Smart Update the way I want it, I get a different message, which doesn't mention Time Machine backups:

Quote:
Every Friday at 6:00 PM, "Backup - all files" will be used to copy OS to Backups. Smart Update has been selected as the "During copy" option. Smart Update will copy and erase what's needed to make Backups identical to your selections from OS. The result will mimic "Erase, then copy", but will typically take a fraction of the time.
When the scheduled backup runs, it mirrors the OS drive to the Backups drive, and then, right before it renders the drive bootable, it clobbers all the Time Machine backups, leaving Backups an exact mirror of OS.

Is there some way to get the scheduled backup to behave the same way as the manual one?