Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM

Parallels & Memory Allocation Issue

Dave,

I too have been unable to open the Parallels virtual machine after doing a SuperDuper restore. This is a recent development as SuperDuper has saved me many times over the last year, including successfully restoring my entire system with Parallels on it and subsequently being able to open the VM without any problem.

Like the others who have reported the problem to you, when I go to open the VM on a recent restored system I receive the improper memory allocation notification and the suggestion to go into Parallel's Preferences and make sure I've set the memory allocation settings properly. Like the others, I have followed the instruction precisely, and the like the others it cured nothing - I'm left, like all the others, with being unable to open the VM.

I realize this is not a SuperDuper problem. It's a Parallels problem which they may or may not be working on. Their suggestion is to reduce the amount of allocated memory to 1GB or less. I don't want to try that.

In the meantime, I continue to religiously make SuperDuper backups in which I have no faith I can open the Parallels' VM.

My practice is to make a different SuperDuper backup on three different external drives on a revolving basis. I hope my most recent need to restore is illuminating. First, I restored by system using my most recently dated backup. I had the same memory problem opening the VM. I then restored my system using my next most recently dated backup. I had the same memory problem opening the VM. I then restored my last and oldest backup (dated 7/4/08) and that restore allows me to open the VM.

I don't know what the difference is between the three backups that explains why the two most recent backups won't permit the VM to open but the oldest one does. At the moment I'm just happy (very) that I was able to get one of them to work although I then had to perform about a month's worth of updating various programs including the 10.5.4 update, new iPhone installation, MobileMe, etc. A lot of updating.

My concern is what do I do in the meantime until the issue is fixed, i.e., should I continue to make backups that I don't confidently believe will allow the VM to open and no way to test the backups I do make without jeopardizing the current system that is working properly (the one from 7/4/08 that required all the updating). Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Nevertheless, I thought reporting my experiences might be illuminating to someone like you whose program has saved me several times, including your assistance with the recent VirusBarrier work around that stops SuperDuper cold.

The Parallels people seem to think the 10.5.4 OS X update that was released on or about 7/4/08 in anticipation of the iPhone release is the ultimate culprit. That may be true because the one backup of mine that worked was done on 7/4/08 right before and in anticipation of doing the new OS X update (I always do a SuperDuper backup before doing an OS update or other significant update). But, once I restored the 7/4/08 backup, I then updated all my programs needing updating and I am able to open the VM which seems contradictory to the notion the OS X update is the culprit. Does that shed any light on it?

In the meantime, I use two of my three external drives to make current backups from which I can boot but can't open the VM while booted from the external backup drive. On my third external drive I have kept the old 7/4/08 backup that allowed me to restore back to a place where I could open the VM, but I'd be looking at a significant amount of updating if I have to restore back to my 7/4/08 backup - and I will someday have to.

The whole thing is bewildering and completely submarining the security I used to feel knowing SuperDuper would save my bacon when I needed it. Thanks for listening and I hope I've not wasted your time, but this issue tangentially affects my confidence in using SuperDuper so I though you ought to know.