Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

View Poll Results: Do you Encrypt your External HD SuperDuper Clone?
Yes 1 16.67%
No 3 50.00%
Yes, I use FileVault 2 1 16.67%
Yes, but I don't use FileVault 2 0 0%
I use that Disk Utility "Other Method" that you mentioned 0 0%
I had Problems with FileVault 2 1 16.67%
I had No Problems with FileVault 2 0 0%
I had Problems with PGP 0 0%
I had No Problems with PGP 0 0%
I'd like more Info on this Topic! 5 83.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 AM

External SD HD Encryption, Security!

Hi Dave,

My SD 2.7.1. (v 91) works fine with my Mac OS 10.8.5. THANK YOU!

I am yet to Install 10.8.5 Supplemental Update!

I'd like to Encrypt my Destination SD Clones HDs, because without Encryption my Data can be Copied and Read without my permission, which would be a Security Breech!

I've read a many of Posts on your SD Discussions, where FileVault 2 was mentioned, along with other Encryption Apps Options. The impression I got between all the Comments, including yours, that FileVault 2 was not the most Beloved Solution! My Biggest Concern is being Locked Out of my SD Backup, if it's FileVault HD. I.e. in case that HD has corruption, I might be able to Copy Data from that HD to another HD, never mind Boot Up from that corrupted HD, and so on…

One of those Posts mentioned this "Other Method":

Open Disk Utility
Select a Destination HD to Erase
Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)
Erase
Then do Regular SD Backup Erase All, then Smart Updates after that…

It's not clear to me if that "Other Method" is using FileVault 2 or not?!

I also realized that I can Encrypt my Time Machine HD, and again, It's not clear to me if that Other Method and Time Machine HD Encryption are using FileVault or not!!!

As you can see, like is the case with others, I am FileVault is making me nervous!

FileVault supposedly cause 10-20% slows down, which is un-inspiring!

Apple doesn't mention anything about FileVault 2 in DiskUtility or when offering to Encrypt Time Machine! AppleCare Senior Advisors could not answer that Q either…

When being offered Time Machine HD Encryption, there was no Alert saying that this Time Machine HD will be Erased in order to Encrypt it…

For now my Q is regarding that above mentioned "Other Method" - Disk Utility - Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted).

Will SuperDuper works with that "Other Method" exactly the same way as it's been working for me up till now = flawlessly… except that till now my SD Clone HD was Not Encrypted!

If it won't work exactly the same way, what would the difference be? What workarounds be needed?

I strongly feel that this Backups Encryption Topic deserves a lot more - ATTENTION - in your SD User Guide and on here, on your SD Discussions!

We can Password Protect our Macs, including Firmware Password, but - if our Backup HDs are not Encrypted - our Macs can be Cloned! Identity Theft and other horrors might follow!

Unless our Clones HDs are in our possession 24/7, if Un-Encrypted, they can be Cloned without us even knowing about it.

For now, my thinking is that this might be the best Compromise:

Find My Mac http://j.mp/1goLwo1

Firmware Password Protection on the Mac itself http://j.mp/1bh93kC

Multiple Clones on Multiple HDs, so, if one of those HDs were to die, we'd still have another 1 or 2 HDs left!

I'm eagerly waiting for your reply!

I will also be speaking to the folks at

Symantec Drive Encryption (powered by PGP Technology)
http://buy.symantec.com/estore/categ...LEM_Vx_12MO_PC

so they can explain to me why their product, $110 Per Year per 1 License, is a better choice than Apple's FileVault 2, which comes Free with every Mac?

I also wonder what Other Encryption Options I have, since I also use my Old Powerbook G4, with Mac OS 10.4.11 and SuperDuper!

Can that PB G4 be Protected with Firmware Password?
What about its External SD HD Encryption?

But again, back to my Mac OS 10.8.5 on my MacBook Pro, if that "Other Method" - Disk Utility - Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted), Then do Regular SD Backup Erase All, and Smart Updates after that… - is not using FileVault, then it should be covered under AppleCare, and at Genious Bars at Apple Stores, right? Or am too naive about that!?

Of course, I am eagerly awaiting the Official Announcement that your SD Compatible with Mavericks, Mac OS 10.9!

Of course if Apple's FileVault 2 or any other Encryption and Security "stuff" has changed since 10.8.5, it'd be nice to know what those changes are, and how that relates to the things I am mentioning in this Post! Maybe 10.9 will introduce a "less scary" FileVault 3!?

Thanks in advance for your help, Dave!

And Thanks Again for your YEARS of Peace of Mind with SD!

It SAVED me and my friends several times, which was PRICELESS!!!!

Last edited by sdak; 10-23-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Tags
encryption, filevault 2, mavericks, pgp, security