Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM

SuperDuper, Unattended

I'm trying to get SD to activate from an Automator script and have it do its thing, unattended. Problem is, when SD is run by Automator it sits there waiting for someone to approve the go-ahead to begin the backup. Is there any way to trigger SD and have it proceed without human intervention? I'm sure it can be done with Applescript ... if I only knew what to type.

(Scheduling in SD isn't an option, since the last SD update has been giving me problems with scheduled backups and I have yet to find a cure for that. See: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/s...ighlight=wings )
Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You want to use "run using... without user interaction". See the Scripting Dictionary...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:08 AM

Like I said .... if I only knew what to type.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 AM

I Know What To Type!

This may or may not be helpful to most people, but I sure wish someone had posted this for me a long time ago. I finally figured out how to automate an SD backup without using SD's built-in scheduling (which, for me anyway, wasn't working).

In my case, I have an external FW drive that I want to stay unmounted until the automated backup runs, and then unmount itself when done. I want the machine to wake itself up at 3AM, and at 3:05 to mount the drive, then run SD, unmount the drive, then quit SD.

In Energy Saver I set the machine to wake up (and/or power up) every day at 3AM. In iCal I have an alarm set for 3:05am that runs every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The alarm runs a saved Automator script (saved as an application).

The Automator script runs in 3 parts, although it can be done in just one part. Part 1 executes a script that mounts the drive, part 2 is just a short 2-second delay (not needed but it makes me feel better), and part 3 runs SD, and passing it SD's previously saved settings file (the file you save in SD once you have everything set up the way you like).

Here is the Automator script. It's what you type into the window you get when choosing ""Run Applescript" from the Automator library. (My backup drive is named "Backup"; use whatever yours is named.)

Part 1:
on run {input, parameters}

set diskName to "Backup"
set deviceName to do shell script "diskutil list | grep \"" & diskName & "\" | awk '{print $6}'"
do shell script "diskutil mountDisk /dev/" & deviceName

return input
end run

Part 2: Just a 2-second pause.

Part 3:
Another "Run Applescript":

on run {input, parameters}

tell application "SuperDuper!"
run using settings "/Users/richard/Documents/MyBackupPlan/BackupSettings.sdsp"
end tell

return input
end run

The file "BackupSettings.sdsp" was the file I saved in SD after I got SD set doing what I wanted it to do. There is an easy way to get that file name, and the path to it, inserted into the script without typing (and without typo errors). First select everything between the starting and ending quotes in the portion "/Users/richard/Documents/MyBackupPlan/BackupSettings.sdsp" and delete it (since that is the path to MY file), then go to wherever you have saved your .sdsp file and drag that file icon between the 2 quotes that you didn't delete, and it will insert the full path name for you.

Save the Automator script as a workflow file (so you can edit it again if needed), and also as an application. The saved application is the file you tell iCal to run when its alarm activates (and make sure you set iCal to run it "0 minutes before", not 15, which is its default timing.)

Also, to automatically unmount the drive when done, I have set SD to run a script that unmounts the drive when it finishes its backup. That script was entered into Apple's Script Editor and saved as an application. It is this saved application that I tell SD to run when done. That script is:

tell application "Finder"
eject disk "Backup"
end tell

Hope this helps a few people.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

You're going to want to use "run using settings .... without user interaction", though...
Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM

It runs without intervention; I tested it.

I set an iCal schedule to start in about 5 minutes, put the machine to sleep for a couple of minutes, woke it up by pressing a key, then just sat back and watched it. It starts the countdown as soon as SD runs, then backs up, then quits.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

There are prompts that can come up that will require manual intervention... honestly, you should add it. Up to you, though!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM

What prompts????

The only ones I've ever seen are the ones I don't see anymore.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 PM

Hi Wings

this is a link to a thread where their is a very good script cobbled together
by darelon which has pretty well much what your after (and more). it uses the "run using settings .... without user interaction" script settings.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633

Budgie