Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2007, 06:29 PM

SuperDuper BU doesn't appear in boot mode

Hi!

I have been searching around for different solutions to my problem, but I can't seem to find an answer. Ever since I received my MacBook from service, I have been trying to find a way to make a recovery backup by boot. The problem before I handed it to repairs was that there were problems with the systemfiles and I could not make the machine boot.

As a result I am trying to make a boot disc with fabulous SuperDuper since this seems to be the most user friendly and the best backup application. Furthermore, it is recommended by most MAC-users. (My version is for the time being the trial version.)

Unfortunately, the problem remains. I use a formated Western Digital Mybook pro 500GB external disc http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=242 to backup. I seem to manage to make a backup, but it seems only to work if I use it from MAC_OS startup disc utility. It will not show at start up when I press the option key. I have tried the following:

-formated the disc twice
-Reinstalled superDuper
-Disconnected and reconnected the firewire external HD in boot mode (option-mode), but it doesn't show.
-Ran Discwarrior and backuped again from scratch. I did this twice. DW repaired minor things.
-Techtools won't make an eDrive. It gives me an error after a few second. It asks me to run volume diagnostics. The external HD passes the test.

The funny thing is, as mentioned, that it appairs in "startup disc", but not in boot. I am starting to feel that the problem is within the WD-disc. This WD500GB drive is just temporarily. I have used this to backup my PC folders, but not as system backup.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks