Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-08-2017, 03:05 AM

reloading itunes with Sierra

I am running Sierra and will not be upgrading to High Sierra because I'm concerned about the changes to the sw to make it only allow me to use wifi to put stuff on my ipod. They started with the new IOS making it necessary to use wifi to DL apps so I am assuming it will just continue. WIFI gives me a big headache. Plus the new IOS is getting heavily into nosing into my life and the battery dies very quickly.

Having said that, I am having a problem with Mail where it does not allow me to use the classic look and some other things that are in the prefs. What happened is that the computer was accidentally kicked off during power interruption. Apple could not help me.

So if I use Super duper to (not sure of the proper name) reload it, does it only reload the info or does it reload the complete program?

SD has saved me some serious heartache in the past BTW. WELLLLLLL worth the investment many moons ago.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If you boot from the backup and represents what you want, you can restore that in full. You can't really just restore "Mail", because it has parts all over the place.

With regard to the non-SD stuff, Apple isn't making you use WiFi. There's a version of iTunes available that lets you install applications using iTunes. But I do generally suggest solving your WiFi problem so you can move forward eventually... it's a lot worse to have hackers "nosing into your life" because you've fallen well behind the security patches then to worry about Apple doing so when, generally, they're really not: they're very privacy-first in their approaches.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
If you boot from the backup and represents what you want, you can restore that in full. You can't really just restore "Mail", because it has parts all over the place.

With regard to the non-SD stuff, Apple isn't making you use WiFi. There's a version of iTunes available that lets you install applications using iTunes. But I do generally suggest solving your WiFi problem so you can move forward eventually... it's a lot worse to have hackers "nosing into your life" because you've fallen well behind the security patches then to worry about Apple doing so when, generally, they're really not: they're very privacy-first in their approaches.
Thanks dnanian,

Regarding the wifi, I am one of those 'canarys in the coal mine'. wifi gives me headaches and makes me fall asleep, as does cellphones.

I am a retired professional pilot and one of the first things that you learn is that you always turn off the radar on the ground, so that you do not cook the private parts of the ground crews marshalling you into parking.

Radar is the same as wifi/radios/microwave ovens etc.. It produces emf which causes heating/cooking of human tissue and especially the soft tissues in sexual areas of men and women. Women also have more and softer tissue which makes them more vulnerable. The problem is that it takes a long time for the problem to show up and then it is too late. Cooked tissue does not regenerate.

I used to wear a noise cancelling headset and I assume that is the reason why it is more evident to me, because there was a NC amp etc close to my brain constantly for hours.

If you think I am making it up just read the cellphone manual where it says to make sure the cell is at least 5/8" away from the ear while using. This 5/8" was based on the heating potential of microwaves using a model of a US Marine skull thickness. Those guys are a lot bigger, younger and fitter than me and most of the planet.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Not suggesting you're making anything up...but the strength of radar is significantly higher than WiFi, and given the way signal strength decays, they're quite hard to compare in any sensible way.

What I am saying that you may find a better way of isolating yourself from RF that doesn't make you vulnerable to other threats - and you can install a version of iTunes that doesn't require downloading everything to your iPod via WiFi. Apple rolled that out for customers who wanted it.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
and you can install a version of iTunes that doesn't require downloading everything to your iPod via WiFi. Apple rolled that out for customers who wanted it.
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate this info. You made my day/week!

How do I find that version. I spoke with Apple a few times and I cannot find anyone who knows about it.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Here you go:

https://www.macworld.com/article/323...tunes-127.html
Old 11-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Also: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...th-imazing-251