Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Anyone seen a 1TB HDD comparison

It is time to buy a backup drive for the new computer. I currently have a WDC MyBook Pro Edition II which is a reasonably priced (< US$400) and very fast. The only problem is when it warms up the fan sounds like a jet engine rev'ing up for a takeoff. What I'd like to do is use that drive for backup and replace it with a quiet drive for everyday use. Problem is, how do I find one? There are several on the market for < US$400, but I have no way to compare speed, noise levels, etc. Has anyone seen an up-to-date comparison of 1TB drives currently available?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 PM

WD has released a firmware update to adjust the fan behavior to improve acoustics while maintaining ideal operating temperature on the My Book Pro Edition II and My Book Premium Edition II Dual-drive Storage Systems.

Did you download and install that update?

- My Book Pro/Premium II Firmware Update - Mac
http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=26&swid=54
Old 07-20-2007, 02:48 PM

I was going to buy the new 1TB NAS from LaCie, at only $270 it's a heck of a bargain, but I decided against it because of the higher probability of failure because the 1TB is made up of (2) 500GB drives striped.

Don't want to tempt fate.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transco View Post
Has anyone seen an up-to-date comparison of 1TB drives currently available?
You haven't seen any comparisons because there's only one 1TB drive readily available at this time...the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 which has a three-year warranty.

Seagate is to ship a 1TB drive with five-year warranty in the late-3rd/early-4th quarter of this year and that should drive the $355 (street) price of the Hitachi down a bit. Plus, Western Digital just announced their "GreenPower" 1TB drive will ship in the 3rd quarter of this year...green denoting a drive with a lower power consumption than the two competitors.

Many reviews of the Hitachi drive on the 'net, Tom's Hardware has one of the more comprehensive ones.

I've got four of the Hitachi drives in a RAID array and have been very pleased with them. Smooth, quiet and fast. They format at 931.4GB.