Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2005, 10:47 AM

Backing up a remote computer using SD over AFP connection?

Hi Dave,

I would like to create an updatable backup image of my parent's iMac (which is in Oklahoma) on my FW800 500GB external drive (which is attached to my PowerBook in Illinois). I'm hoping that either SuperDuper or Synk can do the job. I can access their iMac using AFP. In Finder I select Go -> Connect to Server and type in the (DynDNS) URL that I set up to point to the current IP address of the iMac. (I had to play with some of the settings of the router in order to let the AFP traffic through. Hopefully I didn't open their computer up to attack.)

Upon logging in, I am prompted to select the volume I'd like to mount. I can either mount a volume associated with my profile's username, or I can mount a volume that apparently mounts the whole drive (currently it's called "SSP" in the AFP window, although I thought it had a different name before). If I mount the SSP volume and then Get Info on it, "Format:" is listed as "AppleShare" and the size of the drive lised as "Used:" seems about right.

Given this setup, will I be able to use SuperDuper to first create a new image of my parent's iMac on my hard drive? Can I then subsequently run Smart Updates? (If possible, I know I'd need to follow the instructions in the "How to update any image" FAQ post). Btw, both the iMac and the PowerBook are G4 models running 10.4.2.

If all this is possible, can you help me figure out how long it would take to run the initial complete backup? Both computers are connected to the internet via cable modems and the external drive is a FW800 "Lacie 500GB 7200RPM Big Disk Extreme Firewire External Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer".

Finally, would I need to tell my parents not to use the iMac during the backup process? Would I need to have them quit all programs? Or log in holding the Shift button down or anything special like that?

I searched around the Discussion boards using whatever relevant key words I could think of and didn't find the answers. If I missed a thread that has the answers, please point me there.

Thank you!
Erik