Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Yes. After partitioning the other drives (internal and external), and naming the newly-created volumes, I used SD! to clone the original Macintosh HD drive to each of the new volumes using Backup-all files and Smart Update. All subsequent backups, scheduled or not, were done the same way. But this answer is more complex than that. I later had a main hard drive failure. While waiting for the new main drive to arrive, I operated off Backup01 as though it were my main drive, but there was no sandbox on it since it was originally a backup clone that was pressed into service until the new drive arrived. I made several backups from Backup01 to the other volumes on the computer, but there was no sandbox on the computer at that time. After the new main hard drive arrived, I partitioned it into two volumes. They were named Sandbox and Macintosh HD. I cloned the then-current Backup01 to Macintosh HD using Backup-all files and Smart Update. I then carefully followed the users guide to create a real sandbox on the volume named Sandbox. I chose "Sandbox-shared users" because I wanted to isolate the applications as well as the OS. After creating the sandbox, I booted from the Snow Leopard install DVD and used Disk Utility to first Repair Disk and then Repair Disk Permissions on every volume on the computer except the Time Machine volume. I leave that one alone fearing that I'll do more harm than good if I try any kind of maintenance. I then ejected the OSX install disk and booted from the Disk Warrior install disk. I checked the hard drives, examined the files, and rebuilt the directory on every volume on the computer, internal and external, except Time Machine. Everything worked fine, but I didn't try to use the Disk Warrior app that was installed on the clones to rebuild the directory on Macintosh HD or Sandbox for a week or two. Then I tried to do it and found that Macintosh HD would not unmount when I booted from a clone located on a separate hard drive. This answer is too long. Do you want me to do another post to describe one other problem that may be related to this or should I go to email?