Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM

Red face Unable to boot from image - am I doing this right?

I've been browsing the threads but still have not come across what may be causing my firewire drive to not be recognized on boot up. I just wanted to clarify that what I was doing was indeed the correct procedure.

My hardware is newish a Powerbook with a 300 gig seagate drive in a Hardbox - sarotech enclosure (- Oxford chipset I think FW 400/800 and USB2.0) I have the trial version of SuperDuper! (will buy when I can figure out this problem ) Tigger 10.4.5 with latest updates etc. My external drive is partitioned with one 100gig and one 200 gig partition and both have the little checkboxes "ignore owership of this volume turned off" and its not journaled.

Here is what I've been doing:

1) Fire up SuperDuper! and select my laptop HD as source for "Copy" and for the "to" option I select a "Disk Image" (Read/Write sparse Image) and make the location on the 100 gig partition of my firewire drive.

2) I select "Backup - all files", "Before copy repair permissions", "During copy erase ....." and under the advanced tab nothing is checked.

3) Hit ok and it all works fine (after about 2 hours - I have a 100gig laptop drive) The image on the firewire drive is mountable and I can browse the files in the image.

4) I unmount the image and reboot the computer while holding down the option key. The bios (or whatever apple calls it) pops up and I see a little icon for my laptop hard drive but nothing for my external firewire??? (Doing an appel-i on the partition reveals when it was connected as just an external show me that it is bootable.)

So my qustions are:

A)Is the above the correct method to back up to an external firewire drive ( I realize that with the paid version once I have the image I can just add to it and not have to wait the 2 hours each time)

B)Why is my drive not regognized as being bootable by the laptop?

Thanks
Richard