Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-05-2006, 10:04 AM

Smart Update Vs Copy Newer

Hey, this program seems great so far. So, here's a new user obvious question. I just want to make sure I'm completely clear on the difference between Smart Update vs Copy Newer.

Here's my main desire: I'm working on a number of on-going projects. Some in Final Cut, some in word, etc. I make changes to these files every day. I just did my first full backup using SuperDuper today. I have scheduled a regular daily back up update for now on. I want to make sure that if my computer happens to crash in two weeks that I am able to restore my latest version of my files...not a version from today.

It seems that Copy Newer would be the obvious choice for this, but then I get thrown off by this description under Smart Update: "Smart Update will copy and erase what's neeeded to make (back up image) identical to your selections from (source)." When it says identical, does it mean as far as the latest versions of all the files?

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You'll want to use "Smart Update", etb. Smart Update is a *superset* of Copy Newer. It copies newer files, and changed files, etc. It also ensures any files that are removed from the source are removed from the destination, too.

So, if your computer crashes in two weeks, the version on the backup copy will be the one from your last backup, not one from "today" (unless, of course, you ran SuperDuper! today, and that file was changed).
Old 06-05-2006, 04:49 PM

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Just to confirm, in your last sentence, did you mean "unless, of course, you ran SuperDuper! today, and that file was NOT changed"?

Thanks,

ETB.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No, I meant "changed" (assuming the change was from before the Smart Update). In other words, the version on the backup will be the one that was present at the time of your last SuperDuper copy.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:48 PM

Great. Thank you so much, Dave.