Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2005, 01:13 AM

Questions about "exclude system cache/temporary files" Copy Scripts

I see that most of the entries in the Copy Scripts for excluding temp and cache files match up with those that CCC removes. SD has a lot more temporary files listed, which is good I guess.

1) As you say, there are specific files that Apple recommends against copying when cloning. Is there a centralized list of these files anywhere on the web (at Apple's site, perhaps)? Maybe one with an explaination of what the files are/do? I'd do some digging, but I'm not really sure what to search for; plus, you probably know of it off the top of your head.

2) CCC and SD differ on some items that are ignored/removed. DesktopDB and DesktopDF are one such case; CCC copies them, SD does not. For these sort of temporary or autogenerated files, I'm assuming there's no risk in leaving them; after all, if they're recreated by the system at launch, they won't last long anyway. Is this a correct assumption?

3) CCC removes a lot more cache files in it's simple "backup everything" routine than SD; the "Exclude system cache files" Copy Script only seems to be used by Safety Clone (aka "Sandbox"... I agree with you that that term resonates more than Safety Clone ). Is there any particular reason the cache files aren't coppied with the "Sandbox" option, but they are with Backup - all files?

As you might have guessed, I'm a switcher from CCC. SD is all-around phenomenal; the auto-generated "What's going to happen" narrative is inspired.

Thanks for your help!