Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevertr View Post
My Super Duper seems to be hanging up.

It was working fine the other day. Today I got a new external and am going to be using it as a backup.

When I do "copy all files," it continuously hangs up at 3144 files. I've tried different drives etc.. same result.

I then tried "Backup User files" and that works fine, copying all 1M+ files, 90Mb.

Tried to fool it by then going to Copy all Files, and using SmartBackup to see if it would just fill in the blanks. No luck. Still hangs up around the 4000 file mark.
Are you sure it is really hanging? While SuperDuper! is copying a very large file there are no status updates (except for elapsed time?).

Although Smart Update would skip such a large file on subsequent backups to that same volume (if the version on the source was unchanged from the version on the destination), for the first backup to a volume (an empty volume, or one that used to have unrelated or non-backup data), it must copy all the files, including very large ones that might make it look like SuperDuper! was “hung”. If the additional “different drives” you tested were also blank (or at least not most recently used as a backup of the source drive), then SuperDuper! would also have to copy such a very large file to them as well (and thus appear to hang on any drive that did not already have an up to date copy of the very large file already on it—your normal backup drive would probably already have this file, so Smart Update could skip it, but any new drive would not have it, so it would suffer the long copy).

If you are comfortable with the command line, you might try lsof on SDCopy to see what it has open at the time of the “hang”. If you do not have a clue what I suggested, just try giving SuperDuper! some more time to work.

It could be that some file or folder is corrupt, but in that case SuperDuper! will usually report an error and abort the copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevertr View Post
Last question.... if you use "backup user files" does that mean that it's not "bootable" because it doesn't contain the applications and things.
While having applications is a crucial to having a fully functional system, the real reason is a bit deeper. A slightly better way of looking at it is that the “user files” copy script does not copy the OS itself. If there is no OS on a volume, it can not possibly be bootable.