Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 05:20 AM

Backing-up just my File Vault Home folder...

Hi,

Currently, I use SD! to perform smart clones of "Backup all Files".

This method has been working well for me.
Since I use File Vault on my main Home directory I log-in to an alternate Admin account before performing the clone.

I am contemplating adding a different backup script to my rotating backup routine.
Here is my reasoning: Should the File Vault .sparseimage which holds my Home directory become corrupted (which seems to happen to lots of folks, but has yet to happen to me), my current 'backup all files' would likely become useless, since I would just be cloning a corrupted .sparseimage during the backup...

What I am thinking is that I could create a copy script to 'copy /Users/MyHome' to a disk image.

This would give me a backup of my Home directory that I could mount at anytime to retrieve individual files if necessary.

This should work with SD! right?

SuperDuper 2.1.3
MacOS X 10.4.7 PPC

-Tim

Last edited by Timmy; 10-24-2006 at 06:15 PM. Reason: changeed thread title to be more specific
Old 09-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Unfortunately, no -- it'll just copy the same image you're copying now. The whole "FileVault" image is stored in that folder, and the underlying mounted volume is hidden by the OS.

What I'd suggest, if this is something you're concerned about, is consider un-file-vaulting your Home and using a program like Knox to encrypt only the data that needs it...
Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 AM

I think I understand what you're saying here Dave.

However, when I was creating the copy script, I was able to use the SD! 'script commands' script creation dialog to navigate to /Users/MyHome and it was showing the contents of my home folder, rather than the actual .sparseimage file (which was also visible in the SD! navigation window) which you suggest would wind up being copied instead of the contents of my home folder...

I'm not doubting, you, just trying to clarify
Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator

That's because it's showing you what the Finder shows you. But when you copy, we won't follow the symlink (because we shouldn't), and while your Home folder will be copied when you select it, it'll actually copy the FileVault volume.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 AM

Well, I just noticed that my FileVaulted home folder shows up in SD! as it's own volume in the Source pop-up menu list!!

So, it looks like I can just select it as my source and choose 'Backup all files'...
Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Our posts crossed at the same time, Dave.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Ah, it now shows up as a source? That's great, as it didn't used to. That'll work fine, with "Backup - all files".
Old 09-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Ah, it now shows up as a source? That's great, as it didn't used to. That'll work fine, with "Backup - all files".
Yeah, it's there as it's own volume in the source list.

I think this will work!

One last thing (for now), I don't see an option within SD! to encrypt a destination disk image. Am I missing it?

I assume that if I use Disk Utility to create an empty encrypted disk image that it will still work as a destination for SD!, right?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

That's right -- just create an encrypted disk image and point us to it.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Excellent.

So, when the contents of the file vault image are copied to the destination image, will SD! copy the volume's directory structure or will a new one be created on the destination image as the files are copied?

Also, just to clarify, in case anyone is researching this issue in the future and finds this thread. When I said that the File Vault home directory shows up in the SD! source list as its own volume, this is when running SD! from the File Vaulted account. So, in this case, the general instructions to run SD! from a different user account would not apply...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

We'll copy the volume exactly as it appears (which is likely to be your Home folder rooted at the top, with no /Users parent, etc).
Old 09-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We'll copy the volume exactly as it appears (which is likely to be your Home folder rooted at the top, with no /Users parent, etc).
So, if the directory information on the source image is damaged then it will also be copied as is to the destination?

It sounds to me like this is different than doing a drag/copy.
If I drag a bunch of files from a volume that is partially corrupted, as long as the copy operation is able to be carried out, then the copied files will be on a volume which is undamaged...

But it sounds like you are saying that SD! will not only copy the files/folder of a volume, but will also copy the underlying volume information as well?

(When I say 'directory or volume information' I'm talking about the stuff that you see when you run a 'verify' in Disk Utility)
Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

We copy the files as they're present on the drive, just like drag/drop does. We're not copying the underlying "disk structure".
Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions about this Dave.
I do appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Administrator

I'm happy to help -- and glad to see the FileVault volume is showing up. Thanks for that info, and let me know how this woks out for you.