Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Best way migrating to a new MBP?

Soon I will migrate my files from my current MacBook Pro to the new one ... it's on its way arriving sometime next week ... and in this context I have some questions: what is the best way to do the file migration right: seamless, painless, and with a minimum of interruption?

I have done earlier migrations from one MacBook Pro to another using SuperDuper cloning the entire content, including the OS, applications, bookmarks, cookies, saved passwords for Websites, email accounts/settings and everything else. This has worked without any problems, because the Mac models and the OS were identical.

But this time the new MacBook Pro has different features (like the PrefPanes for the new Trackpad and EnergySaver and other stuff) which would be lost if I simply clone the old content one to the new machine.

I have never used the Migration Assistant and I know it pops up on first boot, should I use that to migrate my files? Will it migrate ALL user settings?

Or should I use SuperDuper and then 'manually' replace new stuff from the new System Restore Disc? I am not sure I would know what would fall into this category ...

Or is there a much better way to achieve all this?

Thank you for your suggestions
Old 10-18-2008, 03:10 PM

I am pretty sure that the solution for you is to use Migration Assistant.

The new Macbooks (regular and Pro) have new hardware that is unlikely to be supported by the version of the OS on your backup drive. You need to use the OS that will come with the computer (at least until a new rev of 10.5 has been pushed out (one that includes the software the new Macbooks require)).
  1. Boot your new Macbook (Pro) for the first time.
  2. When the Migration Assistant comes up, attach your backup drive and select it.
  3. Your settings, applications, and users will be migrated from the backup to your new computer.

Migration-via-cloning is only 100% reliable when the backed-up and the restored-to system are the same revision. Other variations are possible (restored-to system is older or newer than backed-up system), but certain restrictions apply. One of the guidelines is that the backuped-up OS should be newer than the restored-to system. This will always be prevent a restore-via-cloning to brand new system from being 100% reliable.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Definitely migrate either from the original Mac or from a full "Backup - all files" made directly to a drive. I've done this numerous times between similar and dissimilar Macs without significant issues... and Apple is improving the process all the time.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Thank you!

This forum is great!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Hi Dave!

I'm doing a final backup with SD of my old MacBook Pro running 10.7.5; just got a new rMBP and I'm excited to make the switch. I use a sparefile to backup wireless.

Planning to do a restore from the sparsefile booting from that drive directly connected to the new rMBP. Assuming I can do a restore while still keeping the new system intact. It's running 10.8. Or do I do a FULL restore, then go back and do the system update to get back to 10.8.

Little confused as to the best way to do the migration, but convinced it's via SD and not the MA Apple provides. Thoughts?

Thanks!

marK
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Um, no. You can't boot from a sparse image. If you want a bootable backup, you need to write directly to a local drive (which I strongly recommend).

For migration, see the FAQ "I've got a new Mac..."
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM

The sparseimage is on a bootable drive; two partitions. Thinking that MA is going to be the better option here though. We'll see how it goes!