Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM

Question Does SD! clone the new Recovery HD partition in Lion?

As I read more about the Mac OS X Lion install I see that a 650MB partition is created called Recovery HD (invisible and bootable). How does SuperDuper! handle this hidden partition if at all?

http://www.macworld.com/article/1610...very_mode.html

In other words, if I need to re-clone my main boot drive will this Recovery HD partition be lost?

P.S. Thanks for updating SuperDuper! so fast and giving us a version compatible with Lion!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The recovery partition is a separate partition. We only copy the partitions you tell us to copy. So the recovery partition would not be removed (unless you took steps to do so).
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM

OK, but I would lose the Recovery HD partition if I upgraded my Mac Pro boot HD to a 2TB drive and then re-cloned my backup over to it?

Probably won't be an issue to most users - since I'm thinking about it I'll probably have a bootable Lion thumb drive or DVD on hand anyway.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Probably, yes, if you replaced the drive. You could always clean install to the drive and then migrate from the backup, should you want to (and there must be a way to recreate the partition).

Alternatively, you can follow the steps you'll find on the 'net to burn a Lion DVD and not worry about it too much.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:48 PM

I restored a Lion backup today (switching my Mac Mini from a RAID1 setup to 2 single drives with the first being duped to the second) and discovered that, you can't use the new Filevault if that recovery partition isn't there. Is there an easy way to tell SuperDuper to clone the recovery partition as well? For what its worth, I just reinstalled Lion on top of itself and it created the partition and I was on my merry way, but I'd like to automate the process somehow.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to have my backups and my boot drive encrypted while maintaining the level of awesome from SuperDuper. So close!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Administrator

We don't copy the recovery partition. It's not exposed to us. We only copy one volume at a time - the one you pick. Others don't come along with it.

There must be a way to recreate the recovery partition... I just don't know what it is (and at present I don't have the spare cycles to investigate due to the support load due to Lion's release)...