Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 PM

Dave, I've got a couple of dumb questions and also wanted to list out the steps as I understand them and see if I'm missing anything.

Please tell me if this is the correct plan:

1. Put my new blank 500GB internal HD into the OWC Mercury enclosure.
2. Plug that into my MacBook.
3. Launch Disk Utility
4. Select the new HD
5. Partition [Here's where I could use some clarification. I've never partitioned a hard drive before and wasn't intending to partition my new one--at least not beyond whatever the default is. What do I do here?]
6. Launch Super Duper
7. Do a full copy of all files to the new HD
8. Rename the new HD [How do I do this? And is the name of my original HD simply 'Macintosh HD'--which is what I see now in my Finder window?]
9. Eject new HD and shut down Macbook.
10. Remove original HD, install new HD, power on the computer. Anything I need to do then or will it operate just like it did before, except with a bigger HD?

Thanks for your patience. I've never done anything like this before and am kind of terrified of destroying my data and/or hard drive(s)!