Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 AM

"Eject after copy" not working properly; errors in OS X logs

Thanks for a great product! I've been using SuperDuper! for a couple of years now and am very happy with it.

I recently updated to v. 2.6, then to v. 2.6.1, in preparation for switching to Snow Leopard. I am still running OS X 10.5.8, however.

Two issues, which may be related (with Time Machine turned off, BTW):

1. The "Eject after copy" feature doesn't seem to be working for me. Instead, it acts as "Unmount after copy", or maybe it isn't doing anything at all other than what earlier versions of SuperDuper! do.
I have a SuperDuper! scheduled copy to a volume on an external (USB2) drive. I like to keep the drive "spun down" at all times except when SuperDuper! is making its copies, so I generally "eject" the drive in the finder, which causes the drive to spin down. When SuperDuper! makes its scheduled backup, it then "mounts" the drive, does the backup, and (apparently) "dismounts" the drive -- which does NOT spin it down. (The SuperDuper! log says that it scheduled the eject, so presumably that option is set up properly.) This is the same behavior I saw before the "Eject after copy" feature was introduced.

2. The following errors are reported by Console.app (when "All Logs" are selected) when a backup job is started per its schedule at 6:30:00 AM:

9/5/09 6:30:00 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10db70.cron[60799]) Could not setup Mach task special port 9: (os/kern) no access
9/5/09 6:30:00 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10db70.cron[60799]) Could not setup Mach task special port 9: (os/kern) no access
9/5/09 6:30:29 AM KernelEventAgent[44] tid 00000000 received unknown event (256)
9/5/09 6:30:29 AM KernelEventAgent[44] tid 00000000 received unknown event (256)

There are no log entries from when the copy finished, at about 6:42 AM.

(Please note that the Console logs often show duplicate copies of one event, so I'm not sure if the errors actually occurred as many times it would seem.)
Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
So, the drive is still on the desktop after we've unmounted it at the end of the copy (when SD! quits)? Or are you saying it's not on the desktop but is still spinning?

The errors in the console aren't a problem.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:53 PM

The drive disappears from the Desktop, but it keeps spinning, which is the same behavior I see if I use Disk Utility to "Unmount" it.

If I use Disk Utility to "Eject" it, it disappears from the Desktop and stops spinning. (In fact, the drive and all the volumes on it disappear from Disk Utility's left-side listing, too.)

If I "Eject" it from the Finder, it disappears from the Desktop and stops spinning. (It does not disappear from the left-side listing in Disk Utility if Disk Utility is already open, however, but it dims as if it were unmounted.)
Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Ah. Yes, we unmount it, because we don't want to suddenly eject the other volumes that might be present on the drive... and if ejected you can't see the volume(s) to remount them. But, as I think we might have discussed in the past, most drives spin down when unmounted. Mine certainly do.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:50 PM

Makes sense. I'll just write a script to actually "Eject" it and run that.

Thanks for your prompt replies. And, again, thanks for a great (and very flexible) product.