Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 PM

Backups over the internet

I want to use SuperDuper! to backup automatically across the internet.

I have a server at home that I FTP into all the time. I also mount the drives via AFP occasionally. I have the ports for FTP and AFP forwarded to my server in my router so that I can get to the server across the internet from outside the house.

I've set up a DDNS account with DynDNS.org so that when my ISP changes my routers IP address, DynDNS is notified. This way I can always find my way home across the internet even when the ISP changes the street signs.

Now I know that SuperDuper! backs up to network locations across AFP, and I know that it automatically mounts them... but how can I tell SuperDuper! to find the network drive using my global domain name instead of the local IP address?

I'm home sometimes, I'm traveling other times. I need my laptop to backup every night no mater where I am. Any suggestions?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I think, when you originally set up the backup, you should mount and use the global name. That would use the loopback and should work.

NOTE, though -- I think it's quite unlikely that this is going to provide satisfactory backup speeds...
Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 AM

I'll try that thanks.

Is there any way to verify exactly how the destination image is being routed in a file? The name is the same regardless of what path is taken to get there. Is there any way for me to verify that it is set up correctly?

Well, my connection is pretty zippy – and when I'm away I'm rarely doing anything major that changes a large number of files. I'll see how it goes.

Speaking of speed... why am I only getting an effective copy speed of .81 MB/sec over my 100 mbit network? Is there really that much overhead? Is this normal?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No, I don't think there's a way to see how it's being routed -- it's kind of up to the system how it resolves the mount.

The speed of your backup is going to be entirely dependent on how the requests -- which are quite random access -- are serviced by the device. I've seen pretty rapid service from higher end NAS drives such as the Infrant ReadyNAS NV+...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 AM

CrashPlan, Mozy, iDrive, ...

Hi, I found this thread because this interests me too as my laptop could get stolen. I really like the idea of knowing where my backed up data is located so that I could get it back fast. Only CrashPlan seems to offer this currently for the Mac -- I have not verified with SynchronizePro! yet.

Anyways, since I already have SuperDuper! it would make so much sense if this Internet backup feature would be somewhat be integrated into a tab, script or what have you - like offering a field with the domain name, router port, password, etc.

We know that backup over the web is slow, but since the backup is incremental and perhaps be active at night, so what? At least the data would be safe. What I like with SuperDuper! is, that even the system would be bootable.

So imagine your MacBook would get stolen, you'd just go/call the place where your extra drive is hooked up to and you'd be up and running in no time. Only cost would be perhaps an overnight messenger to bring you the drive.

Is this something that SuperDuper could/would do in a future version ??

P.S. I guess the question about encryption would come up -- it could make things slow. I suggest to let the user turn it on or off. If you trust the destination there would be no need for that.

Last edited by mypointofview; 10-14-2008 at 12:29 AM.