Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > netTunes > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2003, 05:55 AM

Angry Server unstable, locks up my machine

I read that if a window appears over the iTunes window on the server, bad things will happen. Presumably the server blindly grabs the frontmost window. Couldn't it be smarter than that?

After setting up the server, I still had the System Prefs open behind iTunes. I clicked on it (forbidden fruit and all that) and saw it appear on my client too. Things went downhill from there. before long the music went into a loop of a half second or so, and no matter what I tried I couldn't regain control. I couldn't even ssh in to the machine. Since my server is headless, I had no option but to reboot it.

OK, so don't let another window get in front of iTunes. Problem is, all sorts of things could do this. iCal alarms, software update, etc. Killing my server, which also hosts my site, is unacceptable.

What's worse, it happened again the other day within a couple of minutes of me starting it all up again. This wasn't the result of a window coming up in front of iTunes.

I really like what you've got going here, but I can't buy into your product until it's much more stable. I just can't risk my server like that. In the meantime, I'm back to using VNC.

My server is a Quicksilver G4 800 running OS X Server 10.2.3, and my client is a PowerBook G4 800.