Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 AM

Migrating from one hard drive to another

Hello,

Thank you so much for creating SuperDuper!

The hard drive in my PowerBook is showing problems (SMART is giving warnings; booting will sometimes fail, but the drive seems to run normally when kept cool). I expect its remaining lifetime to be short.

So, I would like to use SuperDuper! to migrate everything to a new drive. I would like to make the new drive a bootable clone of the current one, so I can replace the laptop's internal drive with the new drive, boot up and go on using my PowerBook seamlessly.

I have a USB enclosure for 2.5" hard drives. The PowerBook runs OS 10.4. What's the correct procedure?

Plan A:
1. Take apart the PowerBook, remove the dying drive and replace it with the new drive.
2. Boot the PowerBook using the OS 10.4 install DVD.
3. Running Disk Utility off of the DVD, partition the blank internal drive as one big "Mac OS Extended" partition.
4. Open a Terminal window and use it to launch SuperDuper! from a flash memory stick.
5. Put the old drive in the USB enclosure and plug it in (the clock starts ticking...). Using SuperDuper!, copy the external (dying) drive to the internal (blank) drive. Reboot.

I also have access to a friend's MacBook Pro running 10.5, which gives me a couple of other options:

Plan B:
1. Put the blank drive in the USB enclosure.
2. Using Disk Utility on the MacBook, partition the blank drive as one big "Mac OS Extended" partition.
3. Boot the PowerBook (the clock starts ticking...), then plug in the enclosure and a flash memory stick containing SuperDuper!.
4. Running SuperDuper! from the memory stick, copy the internal (dying) drive to the external (blank) drive.
5. Take apart the PowerBook, remove the dying drive and replace it with the new drive, and reboot.

Plan C:
1, 2. Same as Plan B.
3. Connect the PowerBook to the MacBook with a FireWire cable. Boot the PowerBook in Target Drive mode (the clock starts ticking...).
4. Running SuperDuper! on the MacBook, copy the PowerBook-as-target-drive to the external (blank) drive.
5. Take apart the PowerBook, remove the dying drive and replace it with the new drive, and reboot.

Regarding these plans, I have three questions:
1. I'm likely to have only one shot at the copy, so I want to be sure that the resulting drive is ready to use. Which of these plans is most likely to work? Or is there a better plan?
2. For all of these plans, is there anything I need to know about setting the correct options when partitioning?
3. For all of these plans, when I run SuperDuper, should I "Backup - all files" or "Restore - all files" from the dying drive to the new drive?

I've looked in the FAQ area and didn't find answers to these; my apologies if I missed something. Perhaps other users of SuperDuper! would also benefit from a step-by-step guide to migration? I imagine this same procedure would be useful for replacing a dying hard drive, upgrading to a larger hard drive, or migrating to a new computer with the same hardware.

Thank you again for your generosity in creating SuperDuper! and taking the time to answer questions here.