Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 AM

Incremental backup plan

Hi,

I'd like to create the following backup plan and wonder if it's possible with SuperDuper.

* weekly I want to create exact clones of my entire hard disc
* I want to use 4 partitions or image files for that that automatically rotate
* daily I want to incrementally backup the differences from the previous backup to a seperate location
* only when the weekly backup rotates, files are lost if they're deleted

This gives me a full month of safety to restore any accidently deleted of modified file, and still gives me reasonably up-to-date exact copies to boot into in case of a total failure.

Any tips about how to achieve this with SuperDuper, or any tips about which application would be better to obtain this behavior?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
OK, for this you'd:

- Create four schedules, each doing a "Backup - all files" with Smart Update to "Week 1", "Week 2", "Week 3", "Week 4", set to fire on the day you select for each week.
- On that same day, either delete the corresponding daily image with an "after copy" script or schedule another script to do a smart update of a daily image. I'd suggest using "Backup - user files" instead of "Backup - all files", since it sounds like that's more like what you're trying to protect.
- Create four more scheduled, set for every day, on those same weeks, to their own files (removed above) with the same settings, except "Copy Different" rather than "Smart Update". This is assuming the daily backup is the same file.

I think this'll do what you're looking to do. Personally, I think it's a bit over the top, but you're a better judge of what you want...
Old 04-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply. Something is still not clear to me. Will each 'incremental' daily backup then be a full copy where only the different files will be updated upon, or will only the different files be stored there. I want the latter, having a separate image for each day it very wasteful ;-)
Old 04-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Well, there wouldn't be a separate copy for each day. Rather, the image will be updated every day, and old files wouldn't be removed. New files would be added, and changed files would be updated.

But, we're not storing "deltas"...
Old 04-28-2006, 09:51 AM

I can't seem to find any sort of documentation anywhere on how to set up this kind of rotating backup scheme... it would be really helpful if there were a walkthrough, perhaps with screenshots, describing how to use the scheduler and scripts in some detail.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Well, there's not much to it, which is why I didn't put a chapter in the User's Guide about it.

For example, let's say you wanted to do an every-other-week daily backup to one drive, and the opposite for the other. You'd set up the first, click schedule, and choose every day in the sheet. Then, only select weeks 1 and 3.

Schedule that.

Then, back in the main window, set things up for the 2nd drive (or partition/volume). Click Schedule. Choose every day, then weeks 2 and 4.

That's really all there is to do!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
OK, for this you'd:

- On that same day, either delete the corresponding daily image with an "after copy" script or schedule another script to do a smart update of a daily image. I'd suggest using "Backup - user files" instead of "Backup - all files", since it sounds like that's more like what you're trying to protect.
- Create four more scheduled, set for every day, on those same weeks, to their own files (removed above) with the same settings, except "Copy Different" rather than "Smart Update". This is assuming the daily backup is the same file.

I think this'll do what you're looking to do. Personally, I think it's a bit over the top, but you're a better judge of what you want...
Hi, just adding my backup plan here as well since I am also setting up weekly backups of user files except I don't need to do any daily incremental updates. I am also using the "Backing up over a network" chapter from the PDF documentation as a reference.

To start off, one would create read/write sparse disk images on a network share called week1, week2, week3 and week4. Select smart update from the "During copy" menu for each image.

This should create four identical images from the first day of running SuperDuper!

2. Then on the appropriate last day of the week, select that week's image and do a smart update. Last day of next week, run a smart update on that week's image.

This should create incremental weekly images correct? Along with this schedule I would compact the images at the end of each month using the tips mentioned here:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1115

Am I missing any steps here that I should add or change?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

This will create four images, each of which will have a snapshot of the (user?) files present at the end of the week. If that's what you're trying to do, this should, indeed, do it.