Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-22-2005, 07:41 AM

OSX Tiger and SuperDuper!

Any word on SuperDuper's functionality with OS 10.4, coming soon?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We can't really comment on Tiger in any way, sorry. But, we should be ready for it when it's released... whenever that might be.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:11 AM

How about now?

Now that Tiger is announced to ship in a couple weeks can you comment on how Super Duper! is going to support it?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Administrator

The existing version, 1.5.5, supports Tiger, and will work fine.

The only issue is that, due to incompatible data formats, the Safety Clone cannot be used between Panther (or Jaguar) and Tiger without taking some precautionary steps. Specifically, the format for Mail, iSync and iCal is different in Tiger.

(The Safety Clone works fine *in Tiger* -- in other words, when both the base volume and Sandbox are Tiger volumes: these are only issues with pre-Tiger OS X and Tiger.)

Let me go through those each in turn (I'll be writing a little white paper about this);

Mail
If you're using IMAP for all your mail needs, you don't have to worry about Mail. If not, it's important to recognize that the mailbox storage formats in Tiger have changed. Any mail received in Tiger that is not stored "on the server" (e.g. IMAP) will not be visible when you roll back to Panther.

To work around this problem, I strongly suggest a full migration to IMAP as soon as your ISP allows. (.mac is IMAP already, if you're using that).

Otherwise, you might want to use your POP settings to keep files on the server as long as you can, to allow the mail to be retrieved for both Panther and Tiger.

iSync
iSync's data was completely changed in Tiger, and isn't compatible with Panther. We'll be releasing a special Safety Clone script that doesn't share the iSync data to work around this issue.

(If you're in a rush, you can create your own Safety Clone script, include the existing one, and then add a command to "copy" /Library/Application Support/SyncService.)

iCal
iCal has also changed its data storage format. It's advised to back up your Library/Calendars folder (off your Home), since iCal will convert and delete your existing calendars, making them invisible to Panther.

Changes made to your Tiger calendars won't be visible in Panther, and -- once converted -- Panther changes won't be visible to Tiger either.

That's about it: I wish there was something we could do to handle these cases better, but alas when Apple changes data formats this radically, it's not possible to isolate as completely as we'd like.

In any case, a backup works wonders!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Thanks for that info, Dave. I'm planning to install Tiger initially over an existing Panther clone on my ext FW drive. Would you suggest an Archive and Install for this, or would a simple upgrade install over Panther on that partition be reliable?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Administrator

That's impossible to say, given that every configuration is different. But, I'd expect an upgrade to work, and if it doesn't, you can always to an archive-and-install later.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:06 PM

I'm a new user of SD, which I purchased to do a backup of my Panther install. It went pretty smooth and I followed up on it by performing a Archive and Install of the last developer seed of Tiger. I'm wondering if the problem I had subsequently might be related to the floating user referred to on your blog. I had installed a customized version of PostgreSQL which also creates a homeless user (i.e., no home folder). When I started Tiger up for the first time, this homeless user showed up in the login panel along with all the users who have homes. Until I dove into NetInfo and deleted that user, I had extreme difficulty with Tiger.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

(For those who are looking at this thread -- this is highly technical stuff: don't worry about it if you don't understand, as it doesn't have to do with SuperDuper!)

I don't think this has to do with the Floating User stuff at all, actually.

There might be a special way to indicate this kind of user in Tiger. I'd check the other similar users in NetInfo, and see if there's a special property you need to assign.