Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2005, 12:51 AM

Arrow Formataholic

I have a G4 800 with 80GB internal and a 160GB External FW Drive.

To date I have had a long History of paritioning my Internal drive (both in Windows and in Mac). First Partition for OS and apps and second partition for setup files, music, photos, documents etc.

When I run into a problem, buy and install a new piece of hardware, install too many apps I am not using, or my system appears to be getting sluggish I format my first drive and reinstall basic apps back to a pristine installed system. This leaves all my data intact. Now and then I back up my data to my External FW drive.

My data is starting to outgrow my second parition.

New plan of attack:

I am going to turn my internal drive back into a single partition. I am going to parition my external drive into 80GB, 20GB, 60GB partitions. I am going to reinstall my OS and apps/settings and save a "ghost" copy to the 20GB partition (without Data). I am going to dump my data into the internal drive and do regular backups to the external 80GB drive (OS/Apps/data). And the last 60GB on my External will be for shifting files or whatever.

My thinking on this is that If I am making backups of my entire internal Hard Drive to the external I am also backing up what makes my system sluggish/cluttered. If I restore my hard Drive with the pristine install from the 20GB drive it will be better. I can can then take out only the data on the backup and stick it back into clean install now on the internal drive.

If I am feeling really creative I could probably create scripts to sift the data out of my back up and put it into the right folders on the newly restored internal drive. (think I can?) This could potentially turn my data restore back to the internal drive into a one button solution. Then I can start the process all over again untill things start to appear sluggish/cluttered again.

I am worried about safety cloning onto an external drive because my kids might shut it off or pull the FW cable out or something. Plus, there is something more satisfying about doing a clean install of everything (or a restore of a clean install) I am also worried about a performance hit by safety cloning to the external drive. ***May not be a valid concern if someone would like to clarify***

This approach would also give me full access to my entire internal drive.

Any problems with this approach? Any other ideas how to do this better? I am open to suggestions.