Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 PM

First three tries...no luck

I never have problems with software, so this was a bit shocking.

I tried to create a copy of my disk three times, but I get strange errors each time. The program does not handle these errors at all (forget "gracefully"). I was forced to retry. There is no pattern that I can see in the errors. I'm sure I did more damage to my hard drive by trying to back it up.

Here are some log dumps:

[first try ended in:]

|04:00:29 PM|Error| SVUclone: Error creating directory /Volumes/iBook Backup/System/Library/Frameworks/Scripting.framework: Bad file descriptor
|04:00:32 PM|Error| : Bad file descriptor

[second try was not much better, this time I chose to fix permissions:]

|07:49:59 PM|Error| SVUclone: Error creating directory /Volumes/iBook Backup/Library/Caches: Input/output error
|07:49:59 PM|Error| : Input/output error

[last try--no fix permissions, already fixed:]

|12:02:29 AM|Error| SVUclone: Error creating directory /Volumes/iBook Backup/System/Library/Frameworks/Scripting.framework: Bad file descriptor
|12:02:30 AM|Error| : Bad file descriptor
|12:02:30 AM|Error| ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=22 (Unknown error: 0)

Anyway, after partitioning my drive and trying this three times, I'm not very hopeful for SuperDuper. I bought the program before even trying it (go figure), and, frankly, I can copy my own files using the finder, and they always seem to work.

Any insight would be lovely. If not, I'll look for another backup program and hope you enjoy my donation.

ps-I made three partitions, one is 11 GB to back up my 10 GB iBook disk. I chose the simplest copying options (after actually reading the manual--which I also never do). The partition is formatted as a HFS+ Journaled (there is no mention of "journal" in the pdf manual, so this better not be the problem).