Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Recommended HDD

Howdy folks,

Anyone recommend a particular external drive/place to get it from? I've got a mac mini that I wanted to start using superduper with, but wasn't sure about what drive to get/where to get it.

I was going to go with a random lacie or maxtor one touch, but thought I'd check here. Anyone got a good deal on an appropriate drive anywhere lately?

Cheers,

Ad.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 AM

Type of External Drive

Hi advest, if you read SuperDuper's User Guide in (it's in the help menu) there's a whole section there devoted to your query. I personally use a Lacie Firewire Drive. Do be careful not all externals will boot a Mac and no USBs will.

Jeffus.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Actually, Intel Macs can start up from USB drives, but Power PC Macs can't...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM

I have had good experiences with:
LaCie
G-Technology
OWC (MacSales.com)

My advice is:
1. Buy the biggest you can afford.
2. Get one with a quad interface as "you never know".
Old 12-14-2007, 09:41 PM

LaCie has some physically small drives. I have a pair and use them for off-site backup. Once a month I do a complete copy and take it to my safe deposit box.

I've started using CCC for lack of a working version of SuperDuper
Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 PM

You don't say whether you're using Tiger or Leopard. Presumably if you're using SuperDuper! and are aware that it's not Leopard-compatible, you're still on Tiger. I've been warned away from using a WD My Book with Leopard, so if you're planning to upgrade in the near future, that might be something to keep in mind. My recommendation would probably be to get a regular (internal) Seagate drive + a multi-interface enclosure from OWC. I haven't found an external firewire drive I really, really like.

Some more opinions:
http://shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3091

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 PM

I've had good luck, for internal drives, with Western Digital. They are much quieter than Seagates. For RAID, go with their RE2 drives. For non-raid, the retail versions will do fine. Try Newegg or Other World Computing as sources. Both have good service, relatively cheap shipping.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM

Lightbulb

Had bad luck with LaCie plus their customer service department isn't the best. We've tried almost every brand of hard drive there is, and so far the new SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 with "Perpendicular Recording Technology" is by far the best. Sooner or later all companies will be switching to this kind of a system, but right now Seagate is the only one with it. If you google the drive you'll find that they are really very reasonably priced, sometimes less than an old fashioned style drive, yet they work much better. I'm so impressed with this drive that in a few weeks we plan on buying two more And also don't forget that hard drives are a lot like widescreen TV's, in the sense that when you get it home you'll wish you got the next size bigger
Old 12-18-2007, 01:56 PM

We have several of the OWC enclosures and have been very happy with them.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:55 PM

Any suggestions for a quad enclosure? When used as a FireWire-connected external drive on which a copy of the Main Drive is written by SuperDuper!, will the copy residing on this external drive boot when using (1) a PowerMacG5? (2) an Intel MacBookPro?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBoy View Post
Any suggestions for a quad enclosure? When used as a FireWire-connected external drive on which a copy of the Main Drive is written by SuperDuper!, will the copy residing on this external drive boot when using (1) a PowerMacG5? (2) an Intel MacBookPro?
1. Quad. See http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...teAL/400+USB2/
a. Quiet (no fan)
b. I have had good experiences with OWC for both memory and disks.
c. Price is reasonable.
d. Two-year warranty.

2. Boot. Yes.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM

External HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justG View Post
You don't say whether you're using Tiger or Leopard. Presumably if you're using SuperDuper! and are aware that it's not Leopard-compatible, you're still on Tiger. I've been warned away from using a WD My Book with Leopard, so if you're planning to upgrade in the near future, that might be something to keep in mind. My recommendation would probably be to get a regular (internal) Seagate drive + a multi-interface enclosure from OWC. I haven't found an external firewire drive I really, really like.

Some more opinions:
http://shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3091

Good luck!
What have you heard about the WD My Book with Leopard -- i've used a My Book for about a year with Tiger and had no problems. Hope I don't need to replace it to go to Leopard!
thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 AM

Smile hard drives

I have been using a pair of LaCie Porsche drives for some time now without incident. (One backs up alternately to drive A, then drive B. 3 drives would have to fail simultaneously to lose everything.) I know I should keep one of the backup drives off-site, but it's a bit difficult at the moment.
When the internal drive on my machine failed, I ran for several days on one of the LaCie drives without problems, until it was convenient to take the machine to the repair depot.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difficultrun View Post
What have you heard about the WD My Book with Leopard -- i've used a My Book for about a year with Tiger and had no problems. Hope I don't need to replace it to go to Leopard!
thanks.
You might try a google search for "mybook leopard problems" or something. I was warned away from the combination but because it wasn't relevant to me at the time, I never bothered asking for details.

Good luck.