Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Scheduled backups in Sandbox

Hi,

Can you please tell me if I'm going about the following the right way?

I want to perform a weekly system backup. If I'm using Sandbox as my startup volume, then (from within the Sandbox) I schedule a Smart Update to do a copy (not an erase, then copy) from the Sandbox to Mac HD.

After the backup, Sandbox and Mac HD should be synchronized, correct? There's no need for me to update the Sandbox as a last step?

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 PM

Clarification of original post

Hi again,

I feel my original post might have been confusing.

To clarify (hopefully):

1. In my scenario I've partitioned an External HD and created two volumes - one holding a copy of the original Mac HD, and the other a Sandbox.

2. I use the Sandbox as my startup volume and always work in the Sandbox.

3. The Sandbox shares "personal documents and data with the original" (page 34) system backup that resides along with the Sandbox itself on the external HD.

4. To update the copy of the original system backup with applications installed on the Sandbox, I have two options: restart from the original and install the apps (as per the "Usage Tip" on page 38), or schedule, for example, a weekly backup that will do a Smart Update to update the original copy with the apps in the Sandbox (as per the "Advanced Users" section on page 38).

5. Assuming I work only in the Sandbox, the first ever backup of Mac HD is the only backup of Mac HD that I have to do. From then on, I just perform the backup outlined in #4 above.

I'd like to know if I'm on the right track, or totally out to sea.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Yes, you can do a Smart Update with "Backup - all files" from Sandbox to Mac HD... but doing this in an automated fashion isn't wise due to the fact that you only want to update Macintosh HD when you're sure the Sandbox is OK.

But, then, yes -- you back up "Macintosh HD" with "Backup - all files" and Smart Update to your real backup. Do not back up the Sandbox!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the feedback. SD! is a great app.

Regards,
Mark.