Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2006, 01:21 PM

I booted back up on the laptop and renamed the drive. Now I have two source drives "Arctic" and "Arctic 1". I suspect Arctic is the original Arctic, but I'm not really sure which is which. Sorry, that's too close. The pop-up list is in alphabetical order which doesn't help. I named it differently to prevent confusion!

I had applied a custom icon to my laptop partition. The backup partition has the same icon. Now my desktop has two identical looking drives, even with the name. It doesn't add the " 1" to the Desktop icon name. What if the Finder resets and resorts the desktop icon order? (This rarely happens, but in moments like these...) While I know about the set_icon script, I didn't run it at the time. I'm guessing this would have allowed me to see the external partitions as external. This icon thing should not be a poweruser step.

I renamed the backup to its original name, but I don't even want to run just the set_icon script to fix it. I had opened my e-mail database and added mail to it on the backup. But I had to open it on the original to see if the font was different (it was Andale Mono, so that's ok). Which backup option will not delete my older (yet more up-to-date) mail database on the backup in favor of the newer (because I opened it, not because I added anything to it) mail database on the original? How will I be able to tell the difference between two versions on the backup?

I'll run some maintentence utilities, but I'm not going to do the renaming step. That the backup has a different name than the original seems to explain it. I think it would help for SuperDuper to distinguish between internal and external drives, and also have some way/option of automatically handling the custom icons issue. Not to perpetuate a bad interface idea, but the popup could identify the bus (by physical hard disk type, ala Disk Utility) as a non-selectable menu item, then have the selectable options on that bus below it, ala the Labels menu item in the Finder (i.e. a non-selectable "Color Label:" then selectable choices below it).

This is not to dis your troubleshooting! But the renaming thing gets creepy.

Thanks again for your help.