Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2008, 10:13 PM

To Rick, I have that bug and I have had it since before using the latest version of SuperDuper. My internal drive is called "MacBook" and has no custom icon. I connect a Firewire drive that has three volumes, all three have no custom icons and show up as the orange Firewire icon. When I eject every volume on the Firewire drive at the same time, either by holding the "Option" key while ejecting a volume or by choosing "Eject All" from the pop-up box, I am left with a duplicate of "MacBook" in the Finder sidebar that has the same internal icon. This disappears when I reconnect the drive, but it also disappears if I open Finder's Preferences and go to the Sidebar tab and under Devices, uncheck External Disks. I have put it down to a (annoying) Finder bug that I hope will be fixed in 10.5.2.

Harry, here is something I have observed with alias's on Leopard and if I remember right (probably not) it wasn't like this on Tiger, which is what I see you're using, though you're using 10.4.11 and the version I last used was 10.4.9, I'm not sure if anything has changed from 10.4.9 but, anyway.

If I attach my backup (a full clone called "MacBook Clone"), navigate to somewhere like CoreServices (on "MacBook Clone") and make an alias of this folder on my desktop, doing a "Get Info" on the CoreServices alias shows that it points to "/Volumes/MacBook Clone/System/Library/CoreServices/". After I eject the "MacBook Clone" volume, doing a "Get Info" on the CoreServices alias shows that it now points to "/System/Library/CoreServices/" and this path does not change after the "MacBook Clone" volume is re-attached.

I don't think this is the correct behavior for an alias, is it? Dave, can you tell us how they should function so we can determine if what we're seeing is a bug, modified behavior or correct behavior and for me a dodgy memory.

Last edited by James; 02-09-2008 at 10:16 PM.